Stalling Smallblock....Edelbrock Woes...

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Well, the 318 has been in the shop all week long with an old school highly trained Mopar mechanic checking every crack and crevice for problems.

They found some oddities, and took care of them....including an advance system that was acting erratic.........coil wasn't up to snuff either, so we put a new one on. Better running, BUT still stalled at idle when in drive.......

They calibrated and recalibrated the carb (Edelbrock 1405, brand new), but could not find the problem with the stall........they were pulling their hair out.

Finally, after checking everything down to the torque converter, they put a DIFFERENT carb on the car.......took a Holley directly off a crate motor in the garage, and the car ran PERFECTLY at an idle in drive...........total cure.

To those who will no doubt come racing to Edelbrock's defense from their own experience, let me state this very clearly..........IF YOU had been through what I have with this new carb, you would think VERY differently at this point.

We're installing a dual feed Holley 670 Street Avenger as this is being written. All I can say is "Live and Learn".

I don't know if Edelbrock will warranty this or not (I certainly don't want another one.........)....................and I'm thankful that the other problems were discovered............but this "new" carb has cost me loads, and I will never buy another one for ANY car.

If they had been able to recalibrate or adjust the carb and get it to idle properly in drive (doesn't sound too complex.........), I would not be speaking here........but after my efforts with it for 2 months, and then their efforts for another week, I've had it.

Holley, here I come.

I have always found holley carbs great to work on and very simple. I have thought about buying an edelbrock before but I have always enjoyed how easy the holley is to tune and fix. Hope you get your refund!

I'll be the diehard eddie guy. However, $hit happens no matter what brand it is sometimes. Maybe wasn't completely flat/sealing, hairline crack or what have you. can happen to any brand. I've had a rebuilt holley by a 'holley guy' nearly wash down the walls and colored the concrete where my turndowns are because it ran so rich. A Carter AFB rebuilt 5years ago, sat in a desert garage fired up and ran like a champ. Sorry your eddie experience sucked, i'll never put anything but on my drivers.

good luck with tuning the holley lol

(j/k, i know it can be done lol)

you see the funny thing is i had the same problem just oppisite... i ahd the holley 650 on and switched it out with the eddy 600 in my 318 and worked out great, but to holleys credit, kinda the power valve was definitly blown i just didnt feel like ealin with that

Well, I am a Carter AFB fan, but if a Holley fixed the problem, a Holley fixed the problem (in fact it's my opinion that about 2/3 of the "performance" engines out there would run just fine with a lowly 1850 straight out of the box, and yes I keep one around the shop as a known quantity for troubleshooting). I would be interested in knowing exactly what the troubleshooting chain on the Eddy was, but it really matters little at this point. At least you didn't replace the torque converter to diagnose a carb problem. Glad to hear that you are up and running again.

I have to agree with a statement here;
What ever works, works!

My Eddie 600 is a beautiful fit for my HP Street 318. I learned probably the most common problem with this carb is people run to high a fuel pressure. Should be 5.5, no higher than 6. Peace

I had the exact same experience with the Edelbrock carb....bolted a Holley on and she ran beautiful...sold the Eddy carb to a local guy along with the calibration kit....he bolted it on his car and loves it.....I hate that carb and will never buy another but I'm used to Holleys and I like them......now I find out I'm tuning firends Eddy carbs now cause I have been through the one I had enough that I know them now too.....they are all the same to tune just turning screws in different spots.

I just put a 1407 Edelbrock on my truck. Stock longblock, Comp XE262, performer intake, headers, and MSD. It idled ok, but not great. What I found (over a few days of looking)...
When I drove it to the gas station...It went from 180° to 235, and pinged like mad. Was misfiring at anythign over 1/4 throttle, and skoed (blue) at idle. What I had to change:
I found that the carb had installed at the factory a set of step up piston springs that were rated for 3-4" of vaccum at idle in gear. These richen the mix under load and throttle by lifting the rods out of the jets. So the vaccum you run at is crutial. This engine runs at 10" at idle in gear. Swapped springs to the 8" plus pair and added a rod that had .002" smaller cruise step. Choke was wired improperly (before I got the truck..I just connected wires). I connected it to the right source, and choke was close..just needed to richen it slightly by turning the choke cover. Finally, after getting my timing curve where I wanted (15° initial, 20° centrifical, plus vaccum), I se tthe idle to 750 and balanced the mixture screws. Now it's two pumps, turn the key, and it fires right up. Idles well, no staining of plugs, no smoking, and it spins the 32" Mud Terrains nicely..lol

IMO, a typical carb install and setup. Holleys need this too. The car may run decently, but it's by no means "perfect" in most cases until it's tuned for YOUR engine in YOUR location.

Just finished the Holley 670 Street Avenger installation........High idle is a real pain to adjust, but after standing on my head for 5 minutes, I finally licked it.

This carb has a great low idle capability right out of the box.....nice.

The pump shot is a little off...........in the morning I'll give it an adjustment until it snaps the gas out as soon as I touch it.........seems like it's gonna work just fine.

After the last test drive, I've noticed a definite increase in available power from about 2000 rpm's and up.......this linkage is MUCH more user friendly than the eddy was too, being a better match (I believe) for the Mopar linkage arms.........throttle pressure works great now.........had problems with the arms on the eddy...........

I spent my wifes Christmas present money on the carb, so she's gonna be cryin' in her egg nog................$404. for the carb, but it WORKS!!!!!! A little more pep won't hurt either............

Maybe I was a little hard on the eddy............BUT, I'll still never buy another one.............my "personal preference" icon has just been 'clicked'.

Have a great Christmas guys.............. Doc

lol...you too. (spent the wife's Xmas present money tho? Thats a death sentence at my house...lol)

I did the same thing buying a torch at an auction...I got the tanks, cart, Industrial tip, 3 brazing tips and a rose bud tip for heating. Got 2 chipping hammers, a face sheild, 5 Vice Grip C-clamps and 5 strikers...all for $250. Couldn't pass it up.

pastortom1 said:
Well, the 318 has been in the shop all week long with an old school highly trained Mopar mechanic checking every crack and crevice for problems.

They found some oddities, and took care of them....including an advance system that was acting erratic.........coil wasn't up to snuff either, so we put a new one on. Better running, BUT still stalled at idle when in drive.......

They calibrated and recalibrated the carb (Edelbrock 1405, brand new), but could not find the problem with the stall........they were pulling their hair out.

Finally, after checking everything down to the torque converter, they put a DIFFERENT carb on the car.......took a Holley directly off a crate motor in the garage, and the car ran PERFECTLY at an idle in drive...........total cure.

To those who will no doubt come racing to Edelbrock's defense from their own experience, let me state this very clearly..........IF YOU had been through what I have with this new carb, you would think VERY differently at this point.

We're installing a dual feed Holley 670 Street Avenger as this is being written. All I can say is "Live and Learn".

I don't know if Edelbrock will warranty this or not (I certainly don't want another one.........)....................and I'm thankful that the other problems were discovered............but this "new" carb has cost me loads, and I will never buy another one for ANY car.

If they had been able to recalibrate or adjust the carb and get it to idle properly in drive (doesn't sound too complex.........), I would not be speaking here........but after my efforts with it for 2 months, and then their efforts for another week, I've had it.

Holley, here I come.

Hey just to let you no I am glad it was not the convertor :wav:

-
Back