Stalling when neutral and driving

-

Fishercuda

Reaction score
Hi All,

With the recent change in seasons, I've noticed the barracuda has taken up a habit of stalling after warming up when in park/neutral and occasionally when driving (50-60mph).

I did a bit of searching from older posts and most responses seemed to be timing. However, I just recently (November) had the engine (stock 225/6 with 4 barrel holley (vacuum secondaries)) retimed, dwell and points reset, vacuum advance set and carburetor tuned.

Everything ran fine until last week. Nothing has changed except for the increase in temperature. Are there any basic adjustments anyone makes for cold and hot seasons?

I've been caught up in work so I haven't had a proper chance to sort things out. With the exception of checking to make sure the vacuum advance hose has no leaks and a new fuel filter and air filter is in place, I haven't done anything else. I was going to move on to the spark plugs/coil and make sure I'm getting proper strong spark. I also replaced the points back in September (maybe a new condenser?).

Any advice is better than no advice.

Cheers,
Fisher

Does it sputter and stall or just die? If it just dies, you could have a loss of ignition power somewhere (loose wire, bad ignition switch). If it is sputtering then dies it could be after the winter you might have water in the gas, or if its only after getting hot a bad coil or condenser.

re adjust the carb for warmer weather lean out the carb idle mixture screws,for warm temps this is normal for stalling at idle ,but doesn't apply at highway speeds.

Sound like an electrical disconnect somewhere in the ignition, as dying at hiway speeds is a tell tale.
If you have a tach, watch it real close and see if the needle suddenly drops to zero RPM's when it does it.
If it does, it is def an ignition issue.

Also, if you have that two prong pigtail connector on the distributor pickup wires you might want to clean and crimp it just a bit to make sure it connects good.
I have seen a few of these connectors intermittantly loose contact when temps change in the engine compartment.

Finally got around to working on it. The initial problem was the points and condenser. Should have been my first guess. Since replacing them, I've been trying to redial the carburetors fuel and air mixture. It still stalls occasionally, but not nearly as often as before.

Now I'm getting backfires. It's only happened a few times over the last week. There is an air leak at the exhaust flange (I ordered a new gasket) and I think I have the mixture too rich still. Every time the car stalls or backfired, I've leaned it out a bit. It's slowly getting better, so I think I'm on the right track.

It is an old car though and while I recently had the engine tuned, it's possible something else has gone awry.

-
Back