Standard Radiator vs Heavy Duty

-

dgc333

Reaction score
I was looking to pick up a new radiator for my Barracuda. The car currently has an 18" wide unit that came from a 73 318 Dart doner I stripped (the car was a \6 and had a tiny radiator). I was considering getting the heavy duty unit that was provided in a 73 Dart 340 (or 318 AC cars) for the car since I have the 360 in there now.

The heavy duty unit is 26" wide according to the info on the Advance Auto web page. This is wider than the opening in the core support.

My question are;
Did the later A-body cars come with a larger opening in the core support?

or, was a 26" wide radiator used with a partially blocked radiator on the 68?

or, Was there a different radiator (i.e., three core or something) for heavey duty applications that was still 18" prior to 73?

FWIW, I have not had any cooling problems with the 18" radiator it's just that the fins are starting to crumble and it won't be long before it's leaking.

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I was told on another board to just enlarge the cutout in the core support to fit a wider radiator. I guess that's fine if you don't mind hacking up the car, but for a stock resto it would not be appropriate.

FWIW, the radiator on my '71 Dart 318 w/air is 22" wide. That matches the cutout in the core support. It is a dual row, with the core itself being about 2" thick. The top tank is about 3-1/2" thick.

I measured again yesterday and mine is 22" and the opeing in the core is 22". I gues I had the 18" on the brain from the old \6 radiator.

dgc333 said:
I measured again yesterday and mine is 22" and the opeing in the core is 22". I gues I had the 18" on the brain from the old \6 radiator.
slant 6 used 19" ;)

so did 1964 V8 abody.

100_0471Medium.JPG

Well I looked again on the Advance Auto Web page and sure enough the 71 listed a 22" radiator as the heavey duty unit. Funny they do not list anything for my 68 and the 73 had a 26" wide unit listed for the heavy duty.

Will be ordering the 340 A/C heavy duty radiotr this week. Not a bad price either at $199

I`d like to know how that radiator turns out when you get it. I spent $500.00 for a four core custom fit aluminum and can`t get it to run hot. I`ll need it though when the Virginia summer gets here. Please let us all know how the Advance unit works out.

dgc333 said:
Well I looked again on the Advance Auto Web page and sure enough the 71 listed a 22" radiator as the heavey duty unit. Funny they do not list anything for my 68 and the 73 had a 26" wide unit listed for the heavy duty.

Will be ordering the 340 A/C heavy duty radiotr this week. Not a bad price either at $199

Well I ordered the radiator Saturday through my dauther to get the shop discount and it's $143.

Longgone said:
I`d like to know how that radiator turns out when you get it. I spent $500.00 for a four core custom fit aluminum and can`t get it to run hot. I`ll need it though when the Virginia summer gets here. Please let us all know how the Advance unit works out.

This is the same size radiator that has been in my car. I orignally pulled it from a 73 Dart so I was using a 73 Dart to look it up and that's why I was getting the 26" number. GoDart said his 71 had a 22" so when I measured again yep I had a 22" which is listed for the 340 or 318 heavy duty A/C.

This size radiator has keep my 375HP 360 running cool even sitting in traffic. It had developed a small leak at the lower hose connection and when I pulled it to solder the rest was looking ify so I figured it was a good time to get a new one.

My '68 Dart has the HD radiator, clutch fan, and shroud. Only ran hot once due to the W/P taking a dump w/143k on the odo. Most of the time it'll sit just a hair inside the normal range and I've run the car up Snoqualmie and Steven Pass' and over to Spokane @ 80+mph in the summer. Funniest part-original radiator that has only had the top tank seam brazed! :thumblef:

Well the radiator is in. It's the same as the one I had that was rotting away. My 360 is a farly hot street motor (~375HP) and the gauge stays steady at mid scale with a 180 degree T-stat. I am using a flex fan and do not have a shroud so I would say the radiaotr has plenty of capacity.

That sounds like a winner for $143.00. Is it a brass radiator? Is it`s appearance just like the stock one? Are the hoses in the right places? I spent a lot on my radiator and since it`s a big block, you can`t find them, but I can say that I`ve showed my engine to a lot of people and they all say the same thing" damn, that`s a nice radiator". After all the blood ,sweat, and tears I`ve put into that engine/drivetrain, all they ever comment on is the radiator.LOL. Go figure!

they don't sell the 69 and earlier round tank style anywhere. the 70-72 square tank style is available. 73 and up abodies had larger rad support openings than 72 and down. the 22" works great. just get it done right.

-
Back