Star Trek's Chekov, killed by his own car

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Anton Yelchin, who was best known for playing Chekov in the new Star Trek films, has been killed by his own car at his home in Los Angeles, police say.

It struck him after rolling backwards down the steep drive at his Studio City home, pinning him against a brick postbox pillar and a security fence.

He died shortly after 01:00 (08:00 GMT) on Sunday.

JJ Abrams, who directed Yelchin in the first two Star Trek films, paid tribute on Twitter saying he was "brilliant".

"You were kind. You were funny as hell, and supremely talented. And you weren't here nearly long enough. Missing you," he wrote.

Yelchin played Pavel Chekov, the role originally made famous by Walter Koenig, in the rebooted Star Trek films released in 2009 and 2013.

He reprised the role in a third film, Star Trek Beyond, which is due for release next month.

Justin Lin, who directed Star Trek Beyond, said: "Still in shock. Rest in peace, Anton. Your passion and enthusiasm will live on with everyone that had the pleasure of knowing you."

Zachary Quinto, who plays Spock in the franchise, wrote on Instagram: "Our dear friend. Our comrade. Our Anton.

"One of the most open and intellectually curious people I have ever had the pleasure to know. So enormously talented and generous of heart. Wise beyond his years. And gone before his time. All love and strength to his family at this impossible time of grief."

Jodie Foster, who directed Yelchin in 2011 film The Beaver, described him as "a rare and beautiful soul with his unstoppable passion for life".

Los Angeles police officer Jenny Hosier said Yelchin had just got out of the vehicle when it rolled back.

He had been on his way to meet friends for a rehearsal but when he did not arrive, the group came to his home and found him dead, she added.

LA police told CBS News the county coroner's office "concluded that Yelchin's death was an accident" caused by "blunt traumatic asphyxia".

Police also told the broadcaster the vehicle involved was a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it appeared Yelchin had not properly put the car in park mode.

CBS reported last month the government National Highway Traffic Safety Administration was investigating the model over its "e-shift" transmission, amid reports of crashes linked to possible confusion over whether the vehicle had been put into park.

Police investigators have not established any connection between the transmission in Yelchin's Jeep and the incident that took his life.

Anton Yelchin, Star Trek's Chekov, killed by his own car - BBC News

He reprised the role in a third film, Star Trek Beyond, which is due for release next month.

Wow that is too bad. I admit, "I'm bad" about using parking brakes. Part of that comes from when I was younger, many of em "up here" freeze up in the winter, you just "never" use them.

I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the crappy shifter and twice I've started to exit the vehicle when I thought it was in park but wasn't. It has an electronic shift lever that is not intuitive. Piss-poor design. Apparently Jeep realized how bad it was and reverted to a "normal" shift gate in 2016.

Agree, I drove a rental BMW with that shifter and it was very annoying, always had to check the display to be sure it was in park.

plymouth-fury-02.jpg

Unfortunately, to corporations, one death does not justify a recall...

they will wait until more people die to fix it...

"We need more proof...."

RIP....

Unfortunately, to corporations, one death does not justify a recall...

they will wait until more people die to fix it...

"We need more proof...."

RIP....
The problem with the shifter is already recalled. I have done a few already. The new programing of the electronic shifter should prevent this. If the door open when the vehicle is not in park and the engine is running, the shifter automatically shifts to park. We started doing the recalls Friday

I saw this on the news last night - brutal... you gotta know that poor bastard probably didn't die instantly... WTF... from what I understand, there already IS a recall on these vehicles because of this exact issue.
RIP

The joys of technology and the bleeding edge of implementation ensures some will die, I am sorry we revere new without regard for obvious shortcomings.

This message came to you from inside a 72 Dart.

The problem with the shifter is already recalled. I have done a few already. The new programing of the electronic shifter should prevent this. If the door open when the vehicle is not in park and the engine is running, the shifter automatically shifts to park. We started doing the recalls Friday
I have spoken with a buddy who works at the plant in Belvidere. Neither one of us can figure out how the original accepted interface could have been considered safe enough to sell to the public.
It seems to be that electronic interface upgrades are simply the thing to do,
whether they are safer or not.
They cost less than mechanical systems, so they are mandated by the bottom line.

I have spoken with a buddy who works at the plant in Belvidere. Neither one of us can figure out how the original accepted interface could have been considered safe enough to sell to the public.
It seems to be that electronic interface upgrades are simply the thing to do,
whether they are safer or not.
They cost less than mechanical systems, so they are mandated by the bottom line.
Ya even my atv is all electronic shift...

Chrysler really screwed up with that shifter design. It's so sad that either 1 person of some notoriety or several common folks must die before eyes are opened.

-
Back