Start with no cluster

-

ed1946

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Quick question, can you start car without instrument cluster being installed, if not what do you need to plug in. update: It wouldn't even crank so I guess I'll have to plug it in, really thought cluster had nothing to do with starting, I have the ammeter bypass in also

Last edited:
PLEASE tell us what you're working on. There's idiosyncrasies to many years and models, not to mention column switches vs. dash switches, etc.

Pls let me tag on to this thread. I just pulled the instrument cluster from my 71 Duster and I’d like to be able to start and move the car while the cluster is out for repair. I connected the battery and discovered that Nothing works.

If you connect the two ammeter wires together, it should start and run. Just make sure there aren't any bare wires or terminals laying against the metal frame that might short out.

Sure. Hot wire it under the hood. Make sure it's in park. I'd even chock the wheels.

Just connect the large black (IT IS NOT GROUND) and the large red ammeter wires with a screw/ nut. TAPE them off it is ALWAYS hot. If the ignition switch/ column is in place it will start and run

I already have those ammeter wires connected together, so thats not it. This was a running car before winter projects, new steering gearbox and paint engine compartment. I had a bunch of stuff disconected and removed so its probably something simple. I thought it should start with cluster out. I'm having some trouble with a/c switch is why I wanted to leave cluster out.

I already have those ammeter wires connected together, so thats not it. This was a running car before winter projects, new steering gearbox and paint engine compartment. I had a bunch of stuff disconected and removed so its probably something simple. I thought it should start with cluster out. I'm having some trouble with a/c switch is why I wanted to leave cluster out.
If it's automatic might be a neutral switch issue, especially if the column has been loosened/ dropped. If it's a stick you must have the clutch depressed

Since you painted your engine compartment, start checking your grounds. Fresh paint is a crappy conductor. And make sure your NSS is connected, both at the trans and at the harness. Also make sure the column ground wire is present and connected.

cleaned up the ground for starter relay and sprayed steering column connectors and car started. thanks for all the help

Would someone please show a picture of where the column ground wire is attached? I removed it last week when dropping the steering wheel and I don’t clearly recall where it was attached.

-
Back