Started 727 Teardown

-
How do I get that book and that poster? :)

Cool original poster I picked up a few years ago.

poster.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you Scott657. I tried to create a more picture filled version of the shop manual that also explains how they work. And, getting to work with so many experts and having so much reference allowed me to share a lot of information. As always is the case, there are many ways to do and build things so I tried to get opinions and suggestions from many that have been doing these for a very long time.
Having very clean parts to take pictures of in a very controlled location made for nice photos. That poster was a special one I created from one photo I took for just such a purpose. I made 25 or so and sold them all I think. I may still have one, not sure. I'll look.
Demon, that too is a good one!

This is my first attempt. I'm looking for something to do in retirement, tinkering with these transmissions may be it:icon_fU:

Demon, is there any way you could get a really amazing photos of your poster so I create one for me too?
Thank you.
Tom Hand

preassembled front and rear clutch and oil pump with gasket. tail shaft is on. I get a scosh under .030 end play with a wet assembly.

Tail shaft or tail shaft housing? What is a dry assembly and what difference in measurement does it make? I've been watching these threads for quite a while now, and I've seen that care with terminology goes hand in hand with transmission performance.
Did you post your clutch clearance?

I did not post clutch clearance. Tailshaft housing is in with new bearing bushing and seal. By Wet I mean that during assembly I soaked or coated parts with assembly lube. I think my initial measurement on input shaft end play was a bit off as you were wondering about. I used a .060 #3 thrust washer and .070#2 washer and approx .080 #1 washer
I didn't get a precise clutch measurement, but within limits in specs

The direct clutch clearance measurement is kinda confusing cuz it takes a waved retainer stock, but sometimes it's replaced with a flat ring. The waved ring clearance is measured from the underneath of the high part of the wave down to the plate. I like to air test the clutch clearance with the drums mounted on the pump in a vise; then I can really see what the clearance is. The clearance opens up after the clutch is first applied cuz the fluid is squished out. It might be best for beginners to measure clearance with the clutches dry. Knowing the exact direct clutch clearance will help identify 2-3 overlap/spinup problems later down the road...I hope you didn't stack thrust washers between the drums; only on the pump or on the front of the output shaft.

@VOETOM @CudaFactHackJob @70aarcuda
I am working on the valve body, and although I am putting in a shift kit, I would like to make sure I can do a stock assembly.
I have 2 springs in question "mixed up" The Throttle valve spring and the switch valve spring.
I believe the one on the right with a bit of green paint is the throttle.
IMG_2455.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back