started looking for car trailer

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
just missed the best deal on local craigslist for car trailer a couple of hours ago. don't you know its my luck the car trailer has been on Craigslist for 6 days and the minute I call someone else was on their way.:banghead: its not driving it to the track what worries me, it's the stroker finding the weak parts of the drivetrain and not being able to drive back home. Well I'll just keep searching, something will turn up?

I went thru the search last year for a car trailer but luckily I was in no hurry so I could wait until i found the right one for me. If you keep your eyes open the most action for the best pricing seemed to be ion june for me. I was ok with buying one that needed some cleaning up and brakes gone over. Best of luck
Rod

I went thru the search last year for a car trailer but luckily I was in no hurry so I could wait until i found the right one for me. If you keep your eyes open the most action for the best pricing seemed to be ion june for me. I was ok with buying one that needed some cleaning up and brakes gone over. Best of luck
Rod

Thank you , I'll be patient . I hope lol

I've got a Brimar 16' open trailer bought it "new" just before i finished the stroker 6 years ago with the electric brakes and stabilizer set-up it cost $3100.00..one of the best things i ever bought..

If looking for an open trailer you have to be very patient if looking used. You need to know how big. Will it work for the car you have will it work for other cars where will it be stored and how big effects choice. The storage is a major factor if you don't have lots of land.Then what do you want electric brakes are a must but you can add them later. What types of ramps pull out or stow away. How low do you need. The length of the tongue can factor. I know because mine is to short and I cant drop my tail gate when hooked up. All these factors and more are important because you might not have thought them out and you get excited as you are looking at that trailer you've been looking for a year and don't remember till you hook it up and tow for the first time. Used isn't bad but after you get it check all the axle bearings and brakes because unless there brand new they are worn. Ask me how I know. The good news is if you spend more for that used trailer you will get it back because you bought a good trailer to begin with. And be prepared for the friends you didn't know you had as they all want to borrow your new trailer. Good luck.

too bad you guys don't live near Ok. the trailer building center of the universe! 16 ft plux 2 ft dovetail, brakes, wide trailer, heavy axles , around $1600-1700 for car hauler.

if you look at used trailer and the guy hasn't used it lately of brakes not working, figure they are rusted shut. use of cheap crap bearing s will be widespread.

Ya I just bought a good trailer for $300 but by the time I am done with tires, wheel brgs, ramps, and brakes not to mention bracing and other things to make it work for me I will probably have $700 to 1000 in it. Still cheap if you don't count my time and labor. Trailers around here go for ridiculously high money used

Attachments

• mini-P3120012.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 226
too bad you guys don't live near Ok. the trailer building center of the universe! 16 ft plux 2 ft dovetail, brakes, wide trailer, heavy axles , around $1600-1700 for car hauler.

^^^^^any suggestions of dealers to go nto or stay away from? I am going to be in central Kansas at the end of the month and could make a trip south.

Thanks

if you look at used trailer and the guy hasn't used it lately of brakes not working, figure they are rusted shut. use of cheap crap bearing s will be widespread.

That looks like a utility trailer. All of them that I have seen are made from pretty thin metal. And not made to haul a car.

My first open trailer that I bought new was an 18ft, no dovetail, that I paid 695.00 for.
This was 1979.
Back then, at least in my area, you had to pay extra for new tires.
Mine came with 4 very used tires & an Okie warranty. If they split in two halves , both of them is yours. LOL

I've been looking. I live in town so max 21feet total. That should also fit in the garage as i would not like to have to fire up the car early on a Sunday morning (race day) to load .

I know here in WV you can buy a new 17' with a 2' dove steel one for $1800.
It has electric brakes, slide in ramps, comes with junk yard tires.
They pull real nice, a couple of friends have them.
Just add new rubber when you get home, go to the DMV and buy the tags.
They are from a major manufacture, so insurance company's will insure them.

A nice polished aluminum one sells for $4800, and they are ready to use.
I am thinking about an aluminum one because they only weigh 1200 lbs.

Attachments

• 2015-01-13 16.24.43.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 208
My 1 yr. old diamond plate floor trailer was stolen out of my yard winter before last .It cost $2000.00. I had to drive 40 mile round trip to race last year while I was looking for a good used one, all I could find were junky trailers for the price of a new one. So last month I bit the bullet and just bought a new one. It was $2600.00 ready to go.http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=1714800933&stc=1&d=1426556804

Nice trailer ! I'm making sure that any trailer i get has a title (witch is not required here) as i don't want anything that's been stolen!! I work way to hard for my stuff and have zero tolerance for thieves !!:wack:

Just a thought - try out in the kelso washington area. I know there are a fair amount of trailer places and it's a fairly small town...

That looks like a utility trailer. All of them that I have seen are made from pretty thin metal. And not made to haul a car.

Really.........

I use a 16' utility trailer. Made some ramps.

Dual axle and rated at 7000lbs with electric brakes.

Empty weight of 1200lbs.

Bought brand new just over 10 years ago for $1200.

Didn't have any problem hauling my 64 Valiant (inherited from grandparents) from PA to CA with it.

DSCF0148.jpg

Well now I'm thinking (brace your self) i can easily drive to the local track and that's just Friday - Saturday night test & tune (or grudge match). Uhaul trailer $55 ? I'm planning on going 7 times to Woodburn dragstrip $385? For the year, no storage, no maintenance, and no worries about thieves?
Really this would have been a great option for our snowmobiles the last two years as we've no snow (at all) this year in Oregon (WHAT EVER TO YOU ALL BACK EAST!) and very little last year. For way less than the upgraded sled and maintenance of both we could have rented brand new for all the times we went in the last two years. It just makes me think ( i know -don't hurt myself )

I couldn't do without my trailer, it gets used for just about everything! I bought mine for $850, and yes it's heavy duty (heavy), but I have no worried that it can haul just about anything I want! The guy I bought it from was hauling his scissor lift with it! Diamond plate bed is a huge bonus!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 154
the trailers with the RAIL around it are basically utility trailers. lots of guy s use them for cars, but too narrow.

the trailers like the one above, wide enough, they are heavier, channel iron frame, axles are adequate for a car.

then there are trailers that look a lot like the one I just described, but have heavier axles, maybe frame, and ramps made heavier, to support things like tractors , skid loaders etc. stay away from the utilitiy type, the second type is adequate.

I havn't bought a trailers in years, but I have bought a couple from Ok Trailer Co. Chickasha, Ok. I would pick it up at the factory, not sure if any cheaper doing that?

I have had both tread plate steel floor and wood. people say the car will slid around on the steel, but I don't think so. used to be same price. I like the steel. all the trailers I have bought came with NEW trailer rated tires. not expensive tires but adequate, GET a spare mounted to the trailer. I like ramps that slide out the back and not the side. get a 2 ft dovetail. my recommendations.

like everything, there are co that make better axles, bearings, and brakes. if a trailer from the factory if higher than a similar model, it might have better brand components?

if in Ok, Tx Ks NEVER leave it where a thief can unhook from your truck and get to it. would be gone in 60 seconds!!!!

there will be plenty of dealers in Ks and Ok. do a little puter work and give some calls and like anything, just knowing the right questions will separate you from the rookies. ( a put a little Ok into you accent!) good luck....

Well now I'm thinking (brace your self) i can easily drive to the local track and that's just Friday - Saturday night test & tune (or grudge match). Uhaul trailer $55 ? I'm planning on going 7 times to Woodburn dragstrip $385? For the year, no storage, no maintenance, and no worries about thieves?
Really this would have been a great option for our snowmobiles the last two years as we've no snow (at all) this year in Oregon (WHAT EVER TO YOU ALL BACK EAST!) and very little last year. For way less than the upgraded sled and maintenance of both we could have rented brand new for all the times we went in the last two years. It just makes me think ( i know -don't hurt myself )

Keep in mind that U-haul trailers do not have brakes on them.

-
Back