Started on the 65 Valiant today

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
Anybody ever seen a factory 273/2bbl/ 4 speed Valiant 4 door with 9" drum brakes all around? Everything is original, #'s have been run and confirmed as a V-8. I have searched all over and cannot find anything that indicates changes or work done to the car. SO # on fender tag is 907. Vin is V85251****
Just surprised to find the 9" drums after I jacked it up. It has all the V-8 parts it should have, vin on title and car match with no indication of being messed with. What's up here?

Congrats on saving an awesome car. We love pics, so shoot us some when you can. The 9"in brakes were standard except on the Formula S Barracuda I believe.

Thanks. I will post some later. All the other 65,V-8 Valiant, Darts and Barracudas I have seen have 10" brakes, so I don't think that is it. I have a 65 Barracuda with 273 2bbl and it is 10". The 65 Valiant Commando convertible is 10" and the 65 Dart GT is 10", so that is why I was surprised. I am thinking that maybe because it is a early production date, that might be it.

Attachments

• Amarillo Cars 040 (550x412).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 286
  • Amarillo Cars 043 (550x412).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 275
The 65 cuda 273 commando car i parted a few years ago only had 9" drums on it.
It had no evidence that it was ever a disc or larger drum car. It even had power brakes.

underhood

Attachments

• Amarillo Cars 039.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 270
My 65 Barracuda is an early build and it matches the build sheet. Commando 4 speed with 9 inch power brakes.

Well, it looks like others have or have seen early production V-8 cars with the small brakes. I had always heard and seen only 10" brakes on the V-8. Still learning new things every day.

either way I really like the 4 door with the 4 speed. could be a fun cruiser.
Thanks, That is what I was thinking when I bought it. I was going to use it for parts, but couldn't part it out and decided to keep it together and build it. Too many cool factor points to part out. And, other than the lower 1/4s, the car is solid. :burnout:

Got the starter on and cranking. Now for the fuel pump, water pump, hoses, plugs, change the oil and filter and pull the seats and both carpets.

realize if its been sitting the gas tank if full of rust. ???? that will get sucked on into everything.

Got a new tank and sending unit to install also!!!!! And master cyl, rubber hoses, wheel cyl. and bearing seals. But first, gotta rebuild the carb and will start it on a 5 gallon gas tank, before doing all the above to see if the motor is any good. If it runs, without knocking, then will proceed with the above.

Got a new tank and sending unit to install also!!!!! .

Save your old lock ring for the gas tank sending unit when you replace the old one. The new ones are too cheap - too thin and won't allow the sending unit to seal. Save the old lock ring (collar) and use it.

The new lock rings are known to be a problem.

Save your old lock ring for the gas tank sending unit when you replace the old one. The new ones are too cheap - too thin and won't allow the sending unit to seal. Save the old lock ring (collar) and use it.

The new lock rings are known to be a problem.

Thanks, will do.

-
Back