starter bike???

-
No Sports bike for you! Sorry, Just my opinion because I like you and want you to live. I Know I know, I'm pissing on his parade. Sorry please don't get mad at me. I highly Recommend a Dual Sport for a first bike. I love My Kawasaki KLX-250-S. You can drive off road & on road. It handles like a dream and is light enough to pick up if you go down. You can get all your experience off road and then hit the streets after most of the cars have parked for the night. If you have to go street right away then go for a cruiser.
UninsuredMotoristForm002.jpg

Duel sports are a good way to get into the sport, except for one thing, a 250 duel sport will get you ran over on the interstate 65-70 mph speeds.
Plus is the used value stays up.
Negative is it has a hard time to keep up with legal speed limits, which may be good for a new rider, and they are tall in seat height.

250 Kawasaki ninga runs great, we started my buddies girlfriend on one, she learned quick and rode safe.
The plus on the ninga it is cheap to buy used, a couple of year old ones go for 1/2 retail. And it will run well above legal speed limits.
Neagitive is if you buy new expect it to loose 1/2 its value in a couple of years.

A CBR 600 probably isn't the best starter bike. They are definitely fast! Insurance would probably be pretty expensive.

Consider something like a Yamaha V-Star 650. Buy something used so if you don't like riding you can get out without losing to much money.

Take the class like everybody has mentioned. My wife took a class and she really enjoyed it. Though she decided that she would rather be a passenger on my bike!

Remember that everybody on the road is trying to kill you!

Good luck with your decision!

Just buy the sportster. they take em in trade when you are ready for the road king.

You'll be fine. I cut my teeth on a 95 Honda 600CBR F3. It didn't take me long and I was used to riding it just like everyone else that I rode with. I didn't want a small bike because I new I would want more power sooner or later. It just takes will power not to crank down on the throttle UNTIL you get some riding time under your belt. Anyways that's what I did and I'm still here. lol

Take the rider course.
Buy a light weight "used" bike.
Pick a bike that is a few years old with low miles.
Choose a bike that fits you and is comfortable when you ride it, if you feel cramped or streached out it is not the bike for you.
If you don't like the used bike 90% of the time you can get your money back on it.
I have been riding for 41 yrs, so my butt has seen alot of seats.

Current bike 1200 Beull Ulysses XB-X12

Just my thought.....I would try out a 4 stroke dirt bike first just to get the feel for the clutch, location of the clutch, and just sifting and taking off in general. I say a 4 stroke so the power is consistent at all RPM, some 2-strokes can have a calm bottom end and can surprise you with a strong power band at the top end. With that being said....street bikes are a different breed than dirt bikes. The weight distribution, stopping, and balance can be pretty different. Sorry if it sounds like a rant but im just saying on the dirt might be a better place to start. Whatever you do, be safe and have fun :)

OK, listen up as i'm only going to say this one time. Sounds like a drill sargent dont it? LMAO. For real though. Take a course or even two courses. There you will learn about terms that you dont know exist now. How about "Target fixation"? You said you were new at this so pay attention. How about the "No zone"? Like someone said before, handle bars straight when coming to a stop even if it's in the last 4 feet. You will learn a ton and these guys that have piped in here at your request have offered their advice because they've been there and done that and they want to keep ya paying taxes. To do that you have to stay alive. Myself i've riden i dont know how many bikes in my life. My son at 17 rode one of my Wings from West Plains, Mo. to Greeneville, SC with mom and i. He was the youngest Wing rider out of 11,000 people. Great accomplishment for the lad but he had been put through the paces in more than one course simply because i loved him. Now he rides at will and does so safely as best as one can with idiots on the road. I ride a 1500 Wing. The bigger the better for me. Comfort is first and formost. A crotch rocket cant be comfortable. My longest day with the wife with me was 807 miles. Now sweet Suzy aint gona feel good humped up like a june bug on a turd ball on the back of no rice rocket. Remember this also. Ride your own ride. If you dont feel good trying to ride at someone elses pace then dont. Ride your own pace. At night NEVER outride your headlites. Wet leaves are slippery and so are painted lines. Gravel is not your friend. What else did i miss guys? Oh yes. There's a lot to be said about parking lot practice.
I'll think of more later. Be carefull.
Small Block

In all seriousness, if you have never ridden a motorcycle,and you want your first to be on the street. You might as well play Russian roulette. You would have better odds.
Just trying to help you out.
you need to listen to the voice of wisdom on this one I got my first motorcycle at 12 years old and road from mx to superbikes but I will tell you I lost two good friends in the same amount of years and two more are missing a leg and if keep thinking there are so many more and i haven't rode in 15 years my point is learn in the dirt then when you mess up you can pick your self up and you get another chance . develop your skill of riding to a reflex and you mite ...mite be ok

Never ever never (unless you really know what you are doing) grab the front brake while leaned over. The bikes normal reaction is to stand up and go straight...

lol...i know. i learned that the hard way... LOL. i bet ya the bike was absolutely able to make that turn. the rider, (me) got scared and hit the brakes...bad mistake. i shoulda just gave it some gas and leaned hard into it, and looked where i wanted to be, not look at what i might hit...:(

ok i should clarify that i was planning on taking the course well before i actually bought a bike. i have no real place where i am to ride off road legally that i know of, this is why i dont want a dirtbike.

let me say i may be reaaalll crazy (to some) but i am by no means a dumbass.

i will get a good helmet, gloves, riding jacket, etc. etc. i am more than ready to go down, i know that it is not only inevitable but it seems like a right of passage for owning/ riding bikes. lol. im a believer in if you fall get back up and do it again damnit....

as much as i like going fast i know not to until i have riding time under my belt, also my dad and uncle used to ride so ill have them for help if i need it.

as far as bikes that i want go..... my dream is a ducati 1198s (now i guess the 1199 is the new one but it dont have the same look somehow)

also i was looking at the ninja cause they are cheap even new, so i wont mind too much when i have to clean it up after a spill, also they are supposed to be VERY forgiving, from what ive heard.

sorry for the long post

OK, listen up as i'm only going to say this one time. Sounds like a drill sargent dont it? LMAO. For real though. Take a course or even two courses. There you will learn about terms that you dont know exist now. How about "Target fixation"? You said you were new at this so pay attention. How about the "No zone"? Like someone said before, handle bars straight when coming to a stop even if it's in the last 4 feet. You will learn a ton and these guys that have piped in here at your request have offered their advice because they've been there and done that and they want to keep ya paying taxes. To do that you have to stay alive. Myself i've riden i dont know how many bikes in my life. My son at 17 rode one of my Wings from West Plains, Mo. to Greeneville, SC with mom and i. He was the youngest Wing rider out of 11,000 people. Great accomplishment for the lad but he had been put through the paces in more than one course simply because i loved him. Now he rides at will and does so safely as best as one can with idiots on the road. I ride a 1500 Wing. The bigger the better for me. Comfort is first and formost. A crotch rocket cant be comfortable. My longest day with the wife with me was 807 miles. Now sweet Suzy aint gona feel good humped up like a june bug on a turd ball on the back of no rice rocket. Remember this also. Ride your own ride. If you dont feel good trying to ride at someone elses pace then dont. Ride your own pace. At night NEVER outride your headlites. Wet leaves are slippery and so are painted lines. Gravel is not your friend. What else did i miss guys? Oh yes. There's a lot to be said about parking lot practice.
I'll think of more later. Be carefull.
Small Block

Listen to what he just said.

If you are out riding with friends for the first time.
Ride your own ride, arriving a few minuates later is better than the ER.

90% of the time I take the last position in a group of friends, just to make sure everbody is ok, plus I chew tobacco, so I have to spit.

One ride a new rider which rode semi-slow was way behind everybody else, on a bike he just bought, he really was trying to keep up, a big straight strech cam up and he open his bike up.
Me and my wife was behind him, he hit a turn way to fast, fixcated on a road sign, there was a state road sign there, he hit it, went over the hill, broke his leg and ended up 20' down a ravine.
If we were not behind him, he might not have been found for days.
I can still remember to this day seeing the complete undercarrage of his bike in the air.

Ride safe

Everyone else's advice is excellent, I would only like to add that when I was first learning, I would roll out early saturday and sunday mornings to get ride time in. I usually rode the same route 3 or 4 times then would switch it up to a new route or a variation. One last piece of advice, no matter how stupid you think that idiot in the car is, he will prove he is dumber than you thought, you can make eye contact with him and he will still pull out in front of you.

One last piece of advice, no matter how stupid you think that idiot in the car is, he will prove he is dumber than you thought, you can make eye contact with him and he will still pull out in front of you.

Brother man, truer words were never said.

Take a course they supply a small 350 here and get your permit. If you still like it get the new Honda 250 or the i believe 700 commuter/highway bike they have. They have abs and fuel injection thats if you have to have a newer bike and higher resale value if its just a phase. If not get a shaft driven mag wheel cruiser750 or under. Then decide if you want to go further into the 140 hp or up sport bikes. I love dirt less idiots more fun. Street is a whole other animal. The course will make you a better driver more aware.

What else did i miss guys?

Cross railroad tracks at as close to a right angle (perpindular to the tracks) as you can. Also, watch out for cattle guards if you're out riding in a rural area - especially if the road crosses them at an angle.
Above all, ride like you're invisible. Because you will be to almost every other driver out there. About the only car drivers that will be careful around you are bike riders themselves.

My first bike was a Ninja 250, loved that bike, easy to ride, with plenty of power for what it was, Great on gas as well depending on what year the bike is, the new ones get better but my 04 got about 60 MPG and that with hammering down quite often. The 250 Ninja has great resale value and sell quick when your done with it and ready for a upgrade. Bought mine for 1400 bucks sold is for 1800 and put 4 k miles on it. After the 250 I went straight to a 06 600cc Ninja 6R and put 20 k miles on it sold it and bought a new 09 Ninja 6R back when it was new. Or my brother started on a Suzuki GSF 400 bandit which is a oil cooled inline 400cc 4 cylinder, good bike and sold quick on CL when he was done with it, Has a trellis style frame and is a naked bike

As far as Ducati's, My dad has one and Im close to buying my brothers M900 as he is buying a 996. The 1199 luckily has upgraded service intervals from there old service plans. At the dealer for our ST4S Duc with a 4 valve top end its about 800 dollars every 8000 miles for the valves and in the next few thousand the belt will need a replacement, Ducati raised the timing belt to I think every 15 k miles now or 6 years?

... and always be planning an escape route, like- "If that guy veers into my lane, would I be better off hitting that small tree, or going down that embankment...what is at the bottom of that embankment?".

Unfortunately you have to do this ALL the time, and it takes some of the fun and sightseeing out of riding...but it will save your ***.

My first bike was a Taco !!!!

Attachments

• DSC06057[1].jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 72
i have a yamaha 250 dual sport. great on country roads, not for interstate it winds out at 65mph.

a couple other things to watch out for... rocks on turns. (like when a truck leaves a little trail of them). watch for deer at sunrise/sunset. it's no joke hitting a deer on a bike.

i never had a deer run out in front of me, but one day lol i had an EMU cross in front of me.... rofl. i think some guy had a farm raising emus and one got loose. i was like WTF

The best thing to do is start here;
http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx

Take one of the beginner courses offered in your area. Sometimes they even provide you with a learner bike while you take the class. By the end of the class you will end up with your license. Ask questions while you are there, the only dumb one is the one you didn't ask. The instructors are trained and can inform you what to look for in a beginner bike.

Then in your spare time get a copy of "A Twist of the Wrist" and "A Twist of the Wrist II" both written by Keith Code. These books will explain things like throttle control, braking techniques, sight lines, counter steering, and cornering, just to name a few.

I read these books every winter in anticipation of the riding season and I always find something new to focus on for the season.

After all of that go to;
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
They offer great prices on riding gear. Please spend the money on riding gear. It only takes one spill or accident... Pavement is like 10 grit sand paper on bare skin.

Remember to keep you head on a swivel and eyes moving. People don't pay attention anymore, plain and simple so as a rider you have to watch out for everyone!!!

Good luck to you and remember to keep the rubber side down.
S.

Smeday made a great point. I wear a helmet,gloves,leather jacket (with armor), pants (with armor) and boots(no tennis shoes). I wear this if it is extremely hot or cold....always!

I might be a little paranoid however.

-
Back