Starter for a 130 tooth flywheel need help!!

-

friesza

The Machinist
Reaction score
I have a friend who is working on a transplanted 440 with a 4 speed....it has the stock bell housing but they installed an aluminum 130 tooth flywheel.

He bought an aftermarket mini starter for a 130 tooth from summit but says it is nowhere close to engaging.....is it possible that because the smaller diameter of the new flywheel that maybe an aftermarket bell housing is needed? ....this is the starter... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cvs-1337/applications/flywheel-flexplate/130-tooth/engine-type/v8

According to ram clutches website a 130 tooth flywheel is12.25" and a 143 tooth is 13.75" O.D....

I have not seen his application just going by the info he gave me....

Thanks...

There is no such thing as a "different starter" (at least in passenger cars and light trucks) except that some of these starters have given guys problems with block or other physical interference.

If you can determine that the starter is indeed bolting up perfectly flat and flush with the bell mount, then...........

either the flywheel / bell combo is wrong

or the starter is just plain defective. I suppose it could have a wrong gear installed off some other application

To put this into perspective, ALL original (wound field) gear drive starters "fit the same" regardless of slant 6, small or big block V8 There are different torque ratings, but the starter mount and drive gear are all the same. You can take a starter off a slant and put it on a 440

The only exceptions are that some industrial and big truck engines did NOT use gear reduction starters.

What size bell housing? That was my mistake when I was building my car. I bought the bigger bell and it wouldn't clear parts of the car...you are having a diff issue, but might have 130 fly in a larger bell.

There are at least two factory pass car BB flywheels, 69 / earlier "true" 11" and the 70/ later "scalloped" 11" (some call it 10.9 or 10 7/8, etc) which is really a 10 1/2" bolt pattern

EDIT I should have added, Ma also changed the bell in 70 for "reduced floor" clearance

This was between my 69 383 RR and my 70 440-6 RR

-
Back