Starter/ignition issue

-

cmac

Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs on this forum but here goes.... I have a 94 Ram b350 van, 360 auto. For a few days now the ignition takes a few clicks to start engine. Battery is good, terminals clean, wiring okay..what I've seen. This morning it started and starter kept cranking after engine had started, it kept cranking after I turned ignition off. I unhooked battery and rehooked and it started cranking again. I tapped started with a hammer and heard a clunk; like bendix disengaging. Now it starts without the starter continuing to run but still takes a few clicks of ignition. I'm going to look things over better now but I've never had an issue like this...Anybody?

More then likely this is a starter problem. Just replace it and be done. You are lucky you were able to get the cables off quickly. Otherwise it would have cranked untill the cables were melted, possibly starting fire. I have seen this many times, and it happened to my Road Runner.

There is a silinoid on the starter that actuates the bendix drive and sends power to the starter motor. Your problem is in that. Most common practice is or was replace the entire starter with reman'd.
Now days many just go to the parts yard and get a high torque mini starter from a late model.

Yup I got the starter and so far so good. I figured that would be it-just wanted to check. Never had a "run away" like that. Thanks

Thanks for posting, even though not an A-body. Many of us use the same mini-starter in your 94 van. Actually, not sure those had the mini-starters, if not the Magnum 5.9L engine. Anyway, you can use one regardless.

I had a prob. like that with my dart once, I think it might have been wear oil was dripping down on the starter from the Distributor, so I got an new O ring & gasket, then to be safe I done what my repair book told me it might could be, I put another ignition switch in & replaced the starter & it ant done it no more. (knock on wood!)

-
Back