Starter Keeps Spinning

-

jar84203

Reaction score
I have a 71 Duster 225ci and I noticed that after I start the engine, I can still hear the starter spinning, but I do not think it is still engaged (I'll have to double check that). I had the original rebuilt and have put a reman in and both do the same thing (the original is worse). I have also replaced the starter relay to no avail.

It sounds like you have a bad starter or maybe it just needs to be lubed internally. They're a little tricky to take apart so you may want to practice with an old starter if you have one. I find they get gummed up then they either don't engage properly or don't work at all.

If the starter spins a couple seconds before stops it needs the friction washer replaced.

It might just be the "spin down." Is that common on all Mopars because we have a couple others that don't do that. Sorry no extra hood.

proceedure for replacing the firction washer in the starter can be found in the factory service manuals.

Personally, I wouldn't spend much time fooling with the original starter. I am slowly putting a mini starter in my 3 old Mopars, since smaller, half the weight, and ~$10 used at PickNPull. Almost mandatory on my small block where getting the original one out is a b***. On a slant, it makes an easy job almost trivial.

Same starter for Mopar slant, SB, BB, RB thru ~1985. "Mini-starters" are in trucks with the 5.2 or 5.9L Magnum motor (~88-2001?). Also in Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ V-8. Rebuilt ones on ebay ~$45 from an LA shop, but some claim they aren't good. Hope not, since I bought 2. I prefer the junkyard for the first one since I get the cable with it, but probably wouldn't help unless you are totally rewiring your engine bay, as I did. The 2.4L and 3.8L starters look similar, but don't fit (I compared mine).

If all the starters are the same for that given time period, why is it that parts stores have different part numbers for their starters? Is it just to differentiate and there really is no difference? Also, you mentioned the wiring. Does something need to be changed for the mini conversion?

Check on rockauto for how PN's vary with year. I have read that all Mopar starters interchange until the end of the Magnum V-8 (~2000?), at least for slant six and V-8 cars. Of course, K-cars and imports (Omni, Colt) differ.

Not sure about the electrical connector at the starter. I figured it might differ, so took the cable with it at PickNPull. I also hoped the counter guy wouldn't charge for the cable (don't recall). Since from a truck, ~2 ft too long for my 65 Dart V-8, but just gives spare to swap the battery connector someday. That connector is a bit loose since the JY apparently pries them off rather than take the time to unscrew. The Magnum cable is nice because it gives a branch that I ran to the Power Distribution Center. I am getting close to rewiring the engine bay in my 64 slant six, and may repeat what I did in the 65 Dart. A lot of work, but makes future improvements easier.

-
Back