Starter keeps starting!...

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to break in the new small block for my power wagon build and the only thing I never checked was if it would actually turn over.... Well I hit the starter and it cranked right away I let go of the key and it kept going! Yikes I ran and grabbed the negative wire off...
I touched it back and it didn't do it again.... Of course I had to try the second time to see if it would do it again but this time prepared to run over and grab the negative wire not let it crank too long...
It did it again...
My first suspect is the brand new Speedmaster mini starter... Chinese crap!..
I'm pretty much done for today but looking for ideas for tomorrow. When I looked through other threads I like the idea of loosening the starter a little bit to see if it's just binding and sticking.. I don't want to go at this too many damn times as I haven't broken in the motor. I don't want to be cranking the hell out of it...
I'm not sure if I could fit a factory starter in there but I have plenty of those...
Thank you for any good ideas...

Solenoid in the starter stuck on.
Chinese stuff, may be assembled without the return spring in the solenoid so it stays on all the time. Take it out and bench check it a few times with jumper cables.

Get a remote starter switch, with key in run, hook it up properly and push the button.

My bet is you are back feeding the ignition system run power, back to the starter realy.

Get a remote starter switch, with key in run, hook it up properly and push the button.

My bet is you are back feeding the ignition system run power, back to the starter realy.
Okay now that is exactly my next thought here... So I'm testing all these wires with a nice power supply unit and I test the coil wire and it's getting juice to the coil when I hit the the start but it's not getting juice on the run position? So I went ahead and spliced (I had to look at my schematics).. I also ran the cruise control wire which I wasn't using for a constant on power to the coil as well. I think you may have something right there where it's just backlighting the ignition?
I just wasn't sure how the coil would get power if there was nothing while it was on the on position?...

I had a very similar issue with my Harley. I changed out the factory starter for a Compufire Hi-torque aftermarket piece . After destroying 2 batteries (melted the lead negative connection because getting to the battery to disconnect the cable was time consuming to get to) we found out that the starter would automatically kick on when low voltage in the system presented itself (according to Compufire tech.) Replaced with a factory starter and problem solved.

You need to do some electrical testing on your ignition system and starter system. I'd start by disconnecting the wires from the starter and attach a voltmeter to the solenoid wire and see if it still does the same thing (as in, still has power at the solenoid wire after turning the ignition switch to the start position and then letting it return to the run position). If it still has power in the run position, you'll need to trace back where it's getting it's juice. As Dana67Dart mentioned, you may have an ignition system wiring problem that is contributing to the starter system problem. Start by isolating the two for testing purposes. Tracing why you don't have juice at the coil in the run position may solve the problem too. You may have the coil run electricity hooked to the solenoid somehow.

Last edited:
You could remove the wire that goes from the relay to the starter, then do all kinds of testing.

You could remove the wire that goes from the relay to the starter, then do all kinds of testing.
I think I did my initial testing of the coil wire without the entire system connected. Possibly the coil wire gets power once the entire system is connected after it goes into the run position? When I was initially had all the wires laid out I was testing them individually. And it wasn't getting power in the run position yet things like the starter relay and things weren't connected yet...
My mind is to go under end clip that cruise control wire that I piggybacked on to the coil wire and see what happens from there. See if I put it on the run position and I get juice at the coil... ?..

This is a total aftermarket hot rod kit and almost zero of the original step is being used. Was standing the factory starter relay...

No way I would have the cruise control run off the same power feed that the coil uses.

No way I would have the cruise control run off the same power feed that the coil uses.
I'm using the cruise control feed to feed the coil while it's in the run position... It seems the coil wire was only working in the start position when I tested it... Again everything wasn't connected up when I tested it though...

I just disconnected the start wire from the starter relay and put my test light on it and it turned off and on with the ignition switch...
I immediately now think it is the starter...

If unhook the starter and remove it. Then using a test light or meter, verify the starter gets power when cranking but not run. Then hook up the starter, with it off the motor and see if it keeps going after you crank...
Or take it out and have autozone or O'Reilly test it and see if it repeats the behavior on their bench. Less hassle that way, maybe. Plus you can teach those kids a thing or two ;)

Getting ready to break in the new small block for my power wagon build and the only thing I never checked was if it would actually turn over.... Well I hit the starter and it cranked right away I let go of the key and it kept going! Yikes I ran and grabbed the negative wire off...
I touched it back and it didn't do it again.... Of course I had to try the second time to see if it would do it again but this time prepared to run over and grab the negative wire not let it crank too long...
It did it again...
My first suspect is the brand new Speedmaster mini starter... Chinese crap!..
I'm pretty much done for today but looking for ideas for tomorrow. When I looked through other threads I like the idea of loosening the starter a little bit to see if it's just binding and sticking.. I don't want to go at this too many damn times as I haven't broken in the motor. I don't want to be cranking the hell out of it...
I'm not sure if I could fit a factory starter in there but I have plenty of those...
Thank you for any good ideas...

I am such a helpful guy, I will offer my superpower to assist your situation. Send me the starter. I have a well-documented ability to work on things that work, and make them not work. Starter won't stop starting? Send it to halfafish, he can ensure it will never work again.

Last edited:
Yes I'm pretty much down to the starter now before I do anything else.. I should have just got a magnum starter from the junkyard like I always do and they never give up. I love those Factory starters...
Again I just put my test light on the relay at the start wire after I took it off and it turns on and turns off as it should..
I asked my wife jump to in and turn the key for me and the coil lights up on the on and stays on the start position and turns off in the off position..

If unhook the starter and remove it. Then using a test light or meter, verify the starter gets power when cranking but not run. Then hook up the starter, with it off the motor and see if it keeps going after you crank...
Or take it out and have autozone or O'Reilly test it and see if it repeats the behavior on their bench. Less hassle that way, maybe. Plus you can teach those kids a thing or two ;)
Likely tomorrow after work I'll yank the starter and just bench test it...

I am such a helpful guy, I will offer my superpower to assist your situation. Send me the starter. I have a well-documented ability to work on things that work, and make them not work. Starter won't stop starting? Send it to halfafish, he can ensure it will never work again.
Good try! LOL.. I send it to you and it gets lost in your vortex horde and you can't find it till after you get your truck started again... And I owe you yet another cheeseburger....

There should only be power to the starter relay (and subsequently to the starter solenoid) in the start position only on the ignition switch. If you're getting juice to either one in the run position, you have something wired wrong.

There should only be power to the starter relay (and subsequently to the starter solenoid) in the start position only on the ignition switch. If you're getting juice to either one in the run position, you have something wired wrong.
Nothing word wrong..

check the ignition and solenoid terminals on the relay, make sure they're not crossed.

Exact same thing happened on my 69 340 a few months ago. The car started and there was a horrible grinding noise. I turned the key to "OFF", but the starter kept spinning. I had to pull a battery cable. I posted a thead, and got the same ideas as you. I ordered a new starting relay. To be honest, I never got around to installing it. It's still on my workbench, but that started problem has not happened since. I hate it when something happens like that. It only happens once or twice, and that makes diagnosis tough.

-
Back