Starter keeps starting!...

-
Exact same thing happened on my 69 340 a few months ago. The car started and there was a horrible grinding noise. I turned the key to "OFF", but the starter kept spinning. I had to pull a battery cable. I posted a thead, and got the same ideas as you. I ordered a new starting relay. To be honest, I never got around to installing it. It's still on my workbench, but that started problem has not happened since. I hate it when something happens like that. It only happens once or twice, and that makes diagnosis tough.
Absolute brand new engine brand new tranny brand new transfer case brand new wiring brand new battery brand new everything you can think of... And absolutely every wire was tested before and after it was hooked up except the actual starter LOL..

Absolute brand new engine brand new tranny brand new transfer case brand new wiring brand new battery brand new everything you can think of... And absolutely every wire was tested before and after it was hooked up except the actual starter LOL..
Must have been operator error. :poke::poke::rofl:
:rofl:
Seriously, it seems to point to the starter.

With new wiring, I would not be removing the starter just yet.

This is extremely easy to test/isolate the problem. Remove the starter sol wire at the relay. Jumper that to bat + terminal & remove after a couple of seconds. If starter releases, starter is ok. If starter continues to run, starter or mesh is faulty.

With new wiring, I would not be removing the starter just yet.

This is extremely easy to test/isolate the problem. Remove the starter sol wire at the relay. Jumper that to bat + terminal & remove after a couple of seconds. If starter releases, starter is ok. If starter continues to run, starter or mesh is faulty.
I don't know if you read all this but I've tested everything and it's the starter..
Again reason being I don't want to do a lot of starter testing with it on the engine is the engine has never been ran... I'm not going to try and slowly break in the cam trying to test a Speedmaster Chinese starter...

Yeah, I did skim over some of it. How did you determine it was the starter?

Yeah, I did skim over some of it. How did you determine it was the starter?
LOL.. I covered that too but I disconnected the start signal wire from the relay to the starter at the relay. I put my test light on it and it only came on and went off in the start position and I can hear the solenoid click same thing also in the start wire going to the relay as well. Also checked the positive of the coil and it had power on both the run and on position...

It's the cheap Speedmaster starter...
Pulled it after work and put it in my vice..
Connected the battery and crossed the start connection... It took off instantly..
I pulled the screwdriver away and it just continued spinning...:rolleyes:...
PXL_20220304_233928214.jpg

I looks cool...:(...

The solenoid in those starters is a magnetic throw that pulls the contactor against 2 terminals that competes the circuit to the wound motor. The contactor is on a fork that shoots the pinion out to the convertor/flywheel teeth. If there is no spring in the solenoid it may stick. There should be a good amount of resistance when you try and pry out the pinion gear from the idle position. It will snap back in. I think you can test it if you remove the wound motor lead from the solenoid. Just use some jumper cables: clip onto body and clip onto battery lug and then hit the battery terminals. Should hear a nice sharp click and see the pinion shoot out and it shoud return Just as fast with no voltage. That is weird

The solenoid in those starters is a magnetic throw that pulls the contactor against 2 terminals that competes the circuit to the wound motor. The contactor is on a fork that shoots the pinion out to the convertor/flywheel teeth. If there is no spring in the solenoid it may stick. There should be a good amount of resistance when you try and pry out the pinion gear from the idle position. It will snap back in. I think you can test it if you remove the wound motor lead from the solenoid. Just use some jumper cables: clip onto body and clip onto battery lug and then hit the battery terminals. Should hear a nice sharp click and see the pinion shoot out and it shoud return Just as fast with no voltage. That is weird
Well with absolutely nothing to lose it was time to dissect this thing! LOL..
As I pulled it apart it did seem like the solenoid was just collapsed in the unsprung position up against the contacts. I pulled it 100% apart that I could and noticed that the wire going from the small start connection had a big bur on it.. I cut that off and reassembled it but when I was reassembling it I noticed a lot more spring in that solenoid module and when I put the cover on it was backed up against it which I thought would be the case when I pulled it off like when I started unscrewing it it would try and spring out against it... Anyhow I had it back together put it back in my vise gave it the same test and now it just Sparks LOL...
One thing I did learn was there's no possible way of getting a factory starter in there without taking the header off or something... Soooo... Tomorrow after work I'm going to size up the wrenches and sockets underneath my Dodge truck so I know what to take with me first thing Sunday morning to the Pick-n-Pull and get a factory starter... Last time I got one for my duster it was just laying on the ground... I know better than to go back to expecting that kind of luck again...

Pics! I think we can get this NEW starter back on the block.
I thought so too... I took it apart and put it back together... The only thing I can think of to do is isolate that start wire..
I had dinner and I'm not sure if I'm that willing to go back out there again LOL..

yes...isolating the power lead sounds like a good idea. Its usually just a plastic bushing under the lug.

yes...isolating the power lead sounds like a good idea. Its usually just a plastic bushing under the lug.
Actually I think at the time I made my Speedmaster order it was the thing that threw my order over $200 for free shipping so it was kind of almost a wash... I really want to go to the Pick-n-Pull and get a factory one that I know will be great forever...

-
Back