Starter Relay Amperage

-

rays266

Reaction score
I have available a 20, 25, and 30 amp starter relay.
Which one do I use for a 1969 Barracuda /6 ?

Guess I never knew there were different amperages on them! Always thought there were auto and manual versions only and no amp rating. If I am incorrect in that assumption then I would go with the 30 as you will be covered.

Guess I never knew there were different amperages on them! Always thought there were auto and manual versions only and no amp rating. If I am incorrect in that assumption then I would go with the 30 as you will be covered.

It's what the contacts are rated for.

It's what the contacts are rated for.

Can only fathom so I assume, like said I had no idea they may have come in differing amperages. Shop online and you get manual trans versions and auto versions. I have never seen amp ratings on the contacts but that does mean they may not have had them. Sometimes I miss things.

I have available a 20, 25, and 30 amp starter relay.
Which one do I use for a 1969 Barracuda /6 ?

I've never heard of such a thing. Where are you getting this information? Or are you talking about the more modern so called "Bosch" relays?

1969 Barracuda Starter Relay
O Reilly Auto Parts
Master Pro 20 amp
Standard Ignition 25 and 30 amp
I will search for a part number on my OEM relay and add the info later today. I have the auto trans.
Maybe this will help prevent some issues.

Oh aftermakets........now I get it.
Well then that brown wire is only a 12ga at best, probably 14, and draws only enough to close the little coil inside so the 20 should be fine.
But what are you gonna pull thru the binding-post stud?

2444442 Auto trans
2444443 Std. trans
Auto trans is 20 amps, std. trans is 25amps.
This pic is of the 30 amp relay.
qj9Fei%pRdqIzph8ilNl8w.jpg

Last edited:
2444442 Auto trans
2444443 Std. trans
Auto trans is 20 amps, std. trans is 25amps.
This pic is of the 30 amp relay.
.View attachment 1715372870

I still say this is nonsense unless you can trace it back to OEM. Anybody can put a spec on anything. That does not mean it's true. Ask yourself why would stick vs auto need different current ratings?

I bet both of those came from the same Chineseaoationized sheds with the same exact contacts internally

I still say this is nonsense unless you can trace it back to OEM. Anybody can put a spec on anything. That does not mean it's true. Ask yourself why would stick vs auto need different current ratings?

I bet both of those came from the same Chineseaoationized sheds with the same exact contacts internally

Well it turns out the 30 amp has a different terminal for the solenoid. I would enjoy popping off the cap to see the size of the winding. So I ordered the "20" amp..

Interesting. The later style push on terminal vs the old style stud that I've seen, had an additional terminal for resistor bypass. I've always called them "Jeep" style. Dont know what all they were used on. Like this:

182185d1363835714t-1988-comanche-issue-starter-relay-diagram-jpg.jpg

Interesting. The later style push on terminal vs the old style stud that I've seen, had an additional terminal for resistor bypass. I've always called them "Jeep" style. Dont know what all they were used on. Like this:e 39 ampe

View attachment 1715373458
That IS the 30 amp I ordered and returned. Why the manual trans is rated 5 Amps more is a mystery to me also. I can only guess it may be a marine application compensating for a marine starter, but I’m not gonna hunt that one down.

That IS the 30 amp I ordered and returned. Why the manual trans is rated 5 Amps more is a mystery to me also. I can only guess it may be a marine application compensating for a marine starter, but I’m not gonna hunt that one down.

I keep trying to tell you. This spec came from an aftermarket source. I think it's complete bullshit. It just might be that some "catalog writer" just put that number down. Until/ unless you can trace this "claim" back to a legit source, it is so much nonsense

-
Back