Starter replacement 96 grand Cherokee 5.2l

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My daughter needs to replace her starter on her Jeep GC with a 5.2L (318).

She will need to do it in the parking lot of her appt complex on the down low. What issues should she expect to run into.

Any hints or suggestions?

It looks pretty streight forward, and seems like it could be done without raising the front end off the ground ( Even I fit under there!)

It's pretty easy. I have a 96 with a 5.2 also, of course mine is lifted so it makes it easier to get under it.. Biggest difference from a Dodge 5.2 is that the starter is on the passenger side. 2 bolts and 2 wires and it's out.

Worth mentioning!
If she is doing the work, Remind her to disconnect the positive battery cable up top.
Don't want to have sparks flying, that will attract too much attention. :eek:

One of the biggest things that I found annoying with the ZJ 5.2, because the starter is on the other side, the oil filter will dump oil all over the starter when you change the oil. Super annoying and probably isn't good for the starter.

ALWAYS, disconnect the NEGATIVE battery cable first on a computer controlled vehicle. That's what I was taught years ago.

The battery is at my house being charged, if we can get one start out if it and get the car to my house much easier to repair.

Thanks all for the advice.

I did notice that there was A LOT of oil on it but assumed it was from one of its numerous oil, trans, and transfer case leaks!

Otherwise at 267,000 miles it is a good car.

Always remove negative battery cable first (computers or not). The oldest printed service procedures you'll find state "remove negative battery cable". Why?...
Hand tools can create a link from battery positive terminal to chassis ground. Welding begins. Battery could explode. When reattaching, negative is less likely to spark when attached last.
I replaced the starter in a Honda minivan, in the parking lot, in summer. Even though the starter is on top of the engine, I had to lay beside the left front wheel and reach in with open end wrench to blindly remove a bolt in the battery tray. Sweat in my eyes, lower bolt in starter very difficult to break loose, and fire ants. Good luck with it.

Be aware that after the computer "is discharged" they usually won't idle and will die without throttle. You simply have to get them ready, "nurse" them into gear with some throttle and drive a little bit--a few miles--to "relearn." On a side note the damn things don't run well if the charging system isn't working, either.

Correct, Negative cable,, don't know why I typed Pos cable.:mad:
If I remember was <9.6 volts where the computer issues start.

Overall the car runs and drives well.

I don't think it is the charging system.

But. My daughter does mostly night driving and short trips so she might be taking 10 out of the battery every time she starts it and only putting 9 back in.

I had the 1 year old battery tested last night and it tested "good" but the guy said his tester said it was in the last quarter of its life.

When I got the battery home it measured 12.3v, I put it on my charger and this morning it was up to 12.9v ( never have had a battery reach the mythical 13.5v )

Restarted the charger a few times.

What makes me think it is the starter is with 2 jumper cables in parallel or a GB 70 jumpstart box, most of the time it would just click. Occasionally it would crank for a second or two but very slowly.

I did wack on the starter and through out solenoid with the end of a screwdriver ( didn't have a hammer)

No change.

I wasn't prepared for other than a dead battery.

Tonight will be a different story, plus I have done some research on the starting system, you would have laughed watching me look for a 67 dart style starter relay.

Did not think to look inside the electrical box!:lol:

As for battery disconnect, well aware of the re learning issues. My old 92 Chevy lumina was like that. You had to keep the rpm up for a few minutes just so it would learn how to idle.

Worth mentioning!
If she is doing the work, Remind her to disconnect the NEGATIVE battery cable up top.
Don't want to have sparks flying, that will attract too much attention. :eek:
Either cable will accomplish the reason for the disconnection.... but neg less likely to arc which could take something out like a computer

-
Back