Starter spacer

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Recently put a 4 speed OD unit behind my 318. Using a late model Ram starter, which now makes a grinding noise because it is too close to the flywheel. Is there a spacer out there to put between the starter and the bellhousing to cure it?

No Mopar ever used a spacer. Either something is not bolted up correctly, IE dirt somewhere, warped / out of center bell, etc. Some of the "mini" starters have problems hitting the engine block at least on B/ RB, some of those can be "clocked." Take a REAL good look at what might be wrong.

It's not uncommon to have to grind a little on the nose of the newer starters so they don't hit the ring gear. If it's making noise you will know where to grind when you take it out.

When I first built my 340 with a mini starter it would sometimes grind when first starting the engine. This went on for a few months. Now that this post popped up, I don't remember hearing it grind for about a month now. Whatever caused the slight grinding, it's gone now. My setup is a '66 Valiant with a 340 and 904, engine and trans fresh last year. The slight grinding never was sever, so I didin't worry about it.

Russ.

-
Back