Starter wiring

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
Typically when I install a new starter I am taking the old one off and putting the new one in its place so I know what wires go where. I am starting from scratch so what wire goes in which terminal. I am using a starter off a truck so the terminals are stacked instead of side by side. Thank you.

big hole goes on big post, little hole goes on small post, or the big wire goes to the bigger post if that makes more sense

At the starter, on a Mopar, it's impossible to screw up.
At the battery, same deal.
At the starter relay with the factory wiring and ends, it's still impossible cuz everything still only fits one-way. But after 40 to 50 years, the wire ends may not always original anymore. But ...it....still... doesn't much matter cuz the signal side of the relay works either way. But if this is where you are having trouble,then; the Mopar relay is labeled with 4 characters;
B goes to the battery,
S goes to the solenoid, the small brown starter wire
G goes to ground thru the safety switch, and
I goes to the ignition switch "start position"

But I suspect you have switched to the mini-starter with the side-by-side connector. With headers I think you have to unbolt it, cuz it gets really close to the metal pipes.With logs it can stay.
In either case; what rigger said.

I just put in my powermaster mini starter with headers, my cable is stretched to its limit, need to fond one about 8 in longer

I just put in my powermaster mini starter with headers, my cable is stretched to its limit, need to fond one about 8 in longer
Yeah I ran into that too.
But I installed my battery into the trunk, and moved the starter relay to the passenger side, down on the frame next to the firewall and the headers. After that the oem wires were too long,lol. I routed them up over the bellhouse and down the other side.The battery tray is gone.

The car had a mini starter on it a few years ago so if all goes well the wires will still work.

Got it on and wired up in about an hour with plenty of distractions. Turned the key and nothing happened. Now I get to figured that out.

-
Back