Starting 67 notchback project

-

Tailspin 374

Reaction score
Hi All...

Starting this project after having the car for 15 years. Went through body & paint, and now to put the puzzle back together.

Started with the rear quarter glass...and already needing help. Does anyone have schematics or pics of the assembly? I have a PDF copy of the the Plymouth Service Manual, but it's more for the Valiant, Fury & Belvedere.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Glad to be apart of the A Body crowd!!

Darrell

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC_0030.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 288
Welcome from Southern Alberta! You'll find a ton of info here. It just may take some time to "search" it all out!

I have told other owners, "Don't remove the quarter window assemblies unless you absolutely have to".
They are a major challenge. Convertible isn't so bad
Even with my experience I'm not going to be much help. I will tell you what I've learned. If you don't want to cover all the sharp edges with duct tape, wear sleeved gloves. Don't want to bleed to death.
FIRST; Door hinges and door to body alignment. Get that perfect. Fully tighten all that hardware.
SECOND; Align vent window frame and door glass to body seals. Glass rolls easily.
( You may return for very minor adjustments here before you're done )
THIRD; Align quarter window to door glass seal and body seals.
The route you are taking, you would probably end up with door glasses in such a bind they wont roll up/down easily. Only option would be go into the quarter glass alignment again. Been there done that. Hope this helps

One more tip that will help get that new car feel... We can know the drivers window regulator has major wear in the drive bearing assembly. Winder handle wobbles.
If you'll find someone parting a later model ( preferably 4 door a/c car ) and get the bearing assembly from a rear regulator, you can use those parts to renew yours.
Seller wouldn't need to pull the entire regulator either. Just pull the interior panel and drill out the rivets gets the parts needed. Happy mopering

Hello RedFish... Really appreciate any info!! I'll start with the doors and work my way back...but could still use some info on which roller goes in which slot of the rear side window glass holder. Plymouth sure used a lot of hardware for one small window!!

Too everyone else....thanks for the comments...and look forward to other TIPS & TRICKS from this site to help complete the car!!

Nice paint job. Very sharp! Having been familiar with my own '68 fish for 40 years or so, I can appreciate the desire to have yours running again. Good luck. Unfortunately, the exchange rate and stupid import duties with hinder your ability to complete the job somewhat. What engine is going into your car?

Bought my '68 notch-back 3 months ago and it has NO rear window cranks.....

Don't know why. .....don't even know if it has regulators behind the panels? !!!!! P.O. put little round caps over the holes....
Not looking forward to digging into that mess!

Beautiful notch-back O.P.!
Let us know whatever tip, tricks, and results you come up with!

Jeff

I plan on refurbishing my regulators and such when i reskin the rear quarters. I will get in there with the skins removed,. Clean, and regrease everything, install new rollers etc. I dont intentbto touch any adjustments unless absolutely necessary.

Redfish, Good idea on using a 4 door crank mechanism off a rear door. I did this with a 1960 el camino i used to own. Drivers crank was eo worn it almost 1/2 turn before the teeth would turn the regulator. I drilled one out of a 59 belair 4 door. Just took the mechanism. Then bolted it into my regulator. Works like a champ.

Mayt

Sorry for the late reply....I purchased the car with a 340 with J heads. I'm going to do a rebuild ... rather a crate engine. Like to update with a Holley fuel injection system as well.

I have told other owners, "Don't remove the quarter window assemblies unless you absolutely have to".
They are a major challenge. Convertible isn't so bad
Even with my experience I'm not going to be much help. I will tell you what I've learned. If you don't want to cover all the sharp edges with duct tape, wear sleeved gloves. Don't want to bleed to death.
FIRST; Door hinges and door to body alignment. Get that perfect. Fully tighten all that hardware.
SECOND; Align vent window frame and door glass to body seals. Glass rolls easily.
( You may return for very minor adjustments here before you're done )
THIRD; Align quarter window to door glass seal and body seals.
The route you are taking, you would probably end up with door glasses in such a bind they wont roll up/down easily. Only option would be go into the quarter glass alignment again. Been there done that. Hope this helps
RedFish...happy to say...I was able to install the rear side windows...and functioning well. It took awhile...the downloaded shop manual I have isn't very clear or detailed. The one I have doesn't have the Barracuda listed in it's contents....just Valiant, Belvedere & Fury. Any suggestions where I might find a 67 Barracuda Manual?

RedFish...happy to say...I was able to install the rear side windows...and functioning well. It took awhile...the downloaded shop manual I have isn't very clear or detailed. The one I have doesn't have the Barracuda listed in it's contents....just Valiant, Belvedere & Fury. Any suggestions where I might find a 67 Barracuda Manual?

Welcome aboard! A notch is on my list. Go to mymopar.com tons of manuals there.

There is a 31 page "Service Bulletin" specifically for the 1967 Barracuda. I bought mine off eBay. The print quality is not very good, but you DO need it.

I also bought a repo Plymouth 1967 Service Manual off eBay. Later on I find out that even though the original manual does NOT list the 1967 Barracuda on the title page, they included these 31 pages in the back of the repo version.

If you have the 1967 Plymouth Service Manual, make sure these pages aren't stuck in the back.

Excited to see how it turns out and hear about your first good ride!

-
Back