starting a car without a steering column

-

ike61

Reaction score
i have a 73 340 duster that I want to try and get running. its been sitting since 1986. when i got the car it was missing the steering column. is there a way i can start it without the column? thanks

Sure, just "hot-wire" it. I had to do that to drive my 64 Valiant home since the key switch wiring was goobered-in and some spade terminals fell off while driving. Run a jumper from BATT+ to the upstream side of the ballast. If you have the dual ballast (I think not in 1973), that is the side w/ the short jumper between the 2 ballasts. Don't leave that connected >5 min without the engine running or it may overheat the ignition box or coil. To actuate the starter, apply 12 V to the terminal on the starter relay that the yellow wire (most cars) connects to.

Sure, just "hot-wire" it. I had to do that to drive my 64 Valiant home since the key switch wiring was goobered-in and some spade terminals fell off while driving. Run a jumper from BATT+ to the upstream side of the ballast. If you have the dual ballast (I think not in 1973), that is the side w/ the short jumper between the 2 ballasts. Don't leave that connected >5 min without the engine running or it may overheat the ignition box or coil. To actuate the starter, apply 12 V to the terminal on the starter relay that the yellow wire (most cars) connects to.
Sweet that's easy enough thanks

I tried hot wiring and the car started. It ran for about two seconds and quit because I had no fuel line hooked up. A week later I put a fuel line on it and now it won't even fire. I tried an ignition box and ballast that I knew were good and still nothing. What else could it be?

No idea. Did you leave the ignition hooked up for "a long time" without the car running? Try running a jumper directly from a battery source to the coil + terminal. Check for spark right at the coil tower

No idea. Did you leave the ignition hooked up for "a long time" without the car running? Try running a jumper directly from a battery source to the coil + terminal. Check for spark right at the coil tower
Yes I did by accident of course. I started it after that though. I will try what you said thanks

If you are using a Mopar ECU make CERTAIN it is grounded.

-
Back