Starting from scratch!

-

340butterduster

no title
Reaction score
Hey all, although this is not for an A body...
I find FABO to be the all around best place to get answers...

I'm working on getting a '38 Dodge pickup resurrected, it now has a 12V generator and coil and ignition switch, that's it for wiring. And the starter is foot switch, not with ignition.

I need to know "everything" , LOL, I don't even have a fuse box.
I've had the engine running (although rough idle), but direct from battery.

Where do I go to buy a wiring harness and proper instructions, that would included voltage regulator, brake/signal lights, etc wiring? ( I suck @ wiring). So therefore I'm trying to follow the "KISS" rule. (Keep It Simple Stupid).

If I can get this puppy wired, I'm pretty much driving it, brakes and steering, exhaust and engine have all been done>

I need a windshield and drivers side glass and get the vacuum vipers functional for it to pass a safety inspection.

You fellows go ahead and shoot all you have, vendors, books, .02...

I would love to be driving this thing before the end of July.
I would love to say $ is no object, but unfortunately, like most of you, I have a fixed "play money" budget.

The plan is to eventually build a touring/custom type driver, IE: rack and pinion steering, and suspension. Fuel injected V8 (Hemi ?,... I wish).

I'm open to any suggestions, you guys lead me.

Thanks,
Giles

No pics?No help!LOL

Hey Giles,before going and spending on a Painless harness or??I have a harness with fuse box from a 73 Dart.If you want it to rig up some wiring with a fuse box,your more than welcome to it.8)

Now lets see some dang pics of the old girl!Sounds nice and ready to go!

No pics?No help!LOL

Hey Giles,before going and spending on a Painless harness or??I have a harness with fuse box from a 73 Dart.If you want it to rig up some wiring with a fuse box,your more than welcome to it.8)

Now lets see some dang pics of the old girl!Sounds nice and ready to go!

Much appreciated Scott, I might just take you up on that... But I simply don't know If I can make it work with the generator as opposed to an alternator, or does it matter...?

I'm kinda hoping deep inside, the Redfish will chyme in and steer me in the right direction.

I'm planning on keeping it basic, no power seats, no cruise, no power windows...come to think of it, no power anything.

Giles

Well your gonna need some power,wipers,h,lights,tailights,interior.You might even need some tunes?I,m sure you can cut the harness and just use the fusebox and some wires to run what little you have.??

You could try:
EZ Wire
Rebel Wire (a lot of people seem to like)
Kwik Wire
Haywire

I'm basically looking at getting headlights with dimmer, break lights and turn signals, and wipers at this time (the creature comforts). The truck did not come with taillights or turn signals. The owners manual has the hand signals.

Still would like to hear from you fellows that are experienced/knowledgeable in automotive wiring for suggestions.

Or those of you that have purchased harnesses manufactured aftermarket, good or bad.

Like everyone here, I hate having to do things twice (unless for trial fitting...), or spending money on something I could do myself for half the price.

Wiring diagrams, or were to find them, a good kit to purchase...anything will do here.
I'm open to anything and everything.

What do you all have?

Thanks,
Giles

You could try:
EZ Wire
Rebel Wire (a lot of people seem to like)
Kwik Wire
Haywire

Everything you need to know is right here.

Myself, I prefer the EZ wire. Must have sold/installed 50 of them.

-
Back