Starting probelms help please

-

heatgoal

Reaction score
1974 Duster problem I have replaced the NSS, and ignition switch the starter relay but it still only starts intermittently with ignition switch. The car will start everytime at relay and just recently when the ignition switch is turned on the starter seems to be low on voltage and not engaging the drive gear if you jump the relay it works great. After replacing the ignition switch now the power to the car only works on occasion but it will still start by jumping the starter relay. The car has the wires going to the seatbelt interlock switch but none of the seatbelt wires are attached in the interior. Any help would be great! Now I am really lost on the issue!

sounds like a bad ground, or a loose connection, check your bulkhead connection, let us know if this helps, and welcome to the forums.

That is what I thought before I changed out all the parts all the bulkhead connections are clean and test good. I have checked the engine ground and wiring harness ground any other grounds I should be checking? I also removed the seatbelt interlock and clean alll the wiring and connection even though I don't have the seat sensor installed on the car. Car was working fine with the probelm happening once a month or so until recently.

Thanks

Just found one possible probelm my son had his dash out changing the speedo cable I found both connections to the amp meter loose the car now starts but I am not sure that is the only problem.

Well now for the bad news the car still does the sam thing no click from the new switch but will start by jumping the relay.

Does the ammeter work ok? Turn the key to the "on" position. Does the ammeter needle move to dischange a bit? Turning on the lights it should move a little more. Start the car and see if the needle now moves to the charge side. If not, I think I'd pull the instrument cluster back out and clean/tighten those connections again. It could be the connection for the ignition switch at the base of the column might be bad also. Look the harness over real good. I've seen lots that year with melted wires in the main harness and bulkhead connector.

Well after 3 days of crawling around under the dash I decided to check the seatbelt interlock voltage. When I held the ignition switch on I checked each wire with a test light. When I touched the forth wire over a brown 20 ga wire the car turned over and started. After checking the wiring diagram I found this was the NSS wire on the interlock. Just crawled under the car and checked the new NSS to see if it has continuity and it does. So tomorrow I will start check all the wiring and grounds to the NSS and hope thats the probelm.

We did take out the instrument cluster and clean all the conections and the AMP meter does work I already jumped that to see if it was the probelm. Hope all goes well tomorrow and we get his car back on the road.

Well after 3 days of crawling around under the dash I decided to check the seatbelt interlock voltage. When I held the ignition switch on I checked each wire with a test light. When I touched the forth wire over a brown 20 ga wire the car turned over and started. After checking the wiring diagram I found this was the NSS wire on the interlock. Just crawled under the car and checked the new NSS to see if it has continuity and it does. So tomorrow I will start check all the wiring and grounds to the NSS and hope thats the probelm.

We did take out the instrument cluster and clean all the conections and the AMP meter does work I already jumped that to see if it was the probelm. Hope all goes well tomorrow and we get his car back on the road.
Yeah, bypass all that seat belt interlock stuff. It was so trouble prone they gave up on it and discontinued that system a few years later.

Does anyone know how to bypass the seatbelt interlock?

I think I'd start with making a jumper to bypass the seat switch and see if that takes care of the problem. If it doesn't, you may want to get a good wiring diagram for that car to do more serious surgery.

I think I'd start with making a jumper to bypass the seat switch and see if that takes care of the problem. If it doesn't, you may want to get a good wiring diagram for that car to do more serious surgery.

Hey heatgoal, I have problems with my 74 duster also, sometimes when it gets hot it want start, jump the solenoid itll fire every time, havent done a lot of digging into it yet, but maybe friends out there will lead us into the right direction.

Well I give up now it starts great but the NSS does not work so it starts in all gears. Well off to my friend tomorrow to figure it out.

-
Back