Starting up 67 Barracuda has not run for 15 years?

-

Kent

Reaction score
I am about to try to start a 1967 barracuda that has not run for 15 years. I'm looking for advice on what I should do for the cylinders prior to starting. I have already replaced the fuel system and change the oil.

My Dart sat for 15 years before I got it. I squirted a little bit of transmission fluid into each cylinder and let it sit overnight. Turned the engine over several times by hand. Replaced the spark plugs. Started up Ok. Engine ran great except for lifter ticks that never went away. Drove it 8000 miles before pulling it. Had 139,*** miles on it. The main problem I had was someone left water only in the cooling system, so everything internal was rusted and corroded. Had to replace the water pump housing and pump and flush the block. Still ran a little hot. Good luck with your project...

IMO, it would be very important to slowly an gently rotate the engine by hand to make sure none of the valves are stuck in the guides. I lost a nice set of 318 heads by not doing this. And it was after just maybe 4 years at most.

My '67 HiPo 273 sat uncovered in Pennsylvania for 25 years with 83,*** on odometer. Amazingly, it started up first time after a basic weekend tune-up - new plugs, wires, oil change, fresh fuel, and a borrowed carb. Other than that, just confirmed the engine turned by hand before firing it up. Smoked like hell for about 10 minutes, then cleared up. Perhaps I got lucky. Interested to hear how you make out .

Best of luck!

I pull all the spark plugs and turn by hand, then abuse starter and battery to spin the crap out of it before I put fire in the hole. Don't know that having everything oiled up and moving makes a difference though. Good luck with it.

-
Back