Startup with new carb, new fuel filter?

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just installed a rebuilt Carter BBD 2 bbl carb on my slant. Also added a new FRAM clear fuel filter. Car started before I changed out the carb, but issues with the old carb led me to buying a rebuilt one on ebay, so as far as I know it's good to go.

The car won't start. And I've used starter fluid.

I've also noticed the fuel filter isn't filling up with fuel. But when I crank on the starter and put my hand over the throat, I can feel the downward suction. I've double checked the tightness of the tube clamps on the rubber tube parts.

Any tips for starting the engine when it doesn't have fuel in the filter?

Well, maybe you have other problems as well.

What shape is the fuel supply system, or do ya know?

Rotted connector hoses from the tank, and inlet to the pump?

How's the pump?

Maybe the rebuilt has a stuck needle/ seat? Pull the fuel line off the carb, crank the engine, and see if you have fuel (into a can/ bottle, bucket, of course.)

But it should at LEAST fire with starter fluid, was the car running previously? Have you checked for a good spark

AND how are you cranking the engine? IF you have a stock Mopar ignition, the spark is NOwhere nearly as good when jumpering the start relay as if you are using the KEY, because the resistor bypass circuit is in the key.

What shape is the fuel supply system, or do ya know? Rotted connector hoses from the tank, and inlet to the pump? How's the pump?

Last I checked, everything was fine. I started it up about 3 months ago on the old carb, but the old carb had some warpage on the body that wasn't so good.

Maybe the rebuilt has a stuck needle/ seat? Pull the fuel line off the carb, crank the engine, and see if you have fuel (into a can/ bottle, bucket, of course.) But it should at LEAST fire with starter fluid, was the car running previously? Have you checked for a good spark

Didn't check these things, but I'll give it a shot.

AND how are you cranking the engine? IF you have a stock Mopar ignition, the spark is NOwhere nearly as good when jumpering the start relay as if you are using the KEY, because the resistor bypass circuit is in the key.

Yeah was starting it via the relay. I should try starting it with the key. Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to give them a shot.

No fuel in filter? Didn't fire with starting fluid? I don't think the first thing to trouble shoot is the carb.

Is the arrow on the filter pointing toward the carb ? Some filter contain a check valve that will allow flow only one direction.
I would take the fuel line back off of the bowl inlet and see if the fuel pump will send fuel up there.

Is the arrow on the filter pointing toward the carb ? Some filter contain a check valve that will allow flow only one direction.
I would take the fuel line back off of the bowl inlet and see if the fuel pump will send fuel up there.

Yeah, the arrow is pointing towards the carb. Just installed the filter in the same direction as I had it before when it was working. I'll try disconnect the flex line to the bowl inlet and see if fuel comes back up.

I need to pick up some new starter fluid anyway.

Starting fluid is crap....use straight gas. I just use a spray bottle with gas in it.

-
Back