??? "STEEL PISTONS" ??? This is some wild stuff!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Steel Pistons Part 1: Is Steel a Better Material?

ZGX57Z2MFBEE5P5LJ2J6EVH53I.jpg

DCJ2H4JMUZBRPJSGWUMURTMD2E.jpg

Smoky was a fan of steel pistons. I see a lot of advantages if the skirts are long enough to keep the rings stable. Some GMC diesels had a steel cap that bolted through the top of a hollow skirt assembly. I suspect that they were Detroit, but they may have been Toro-flow (Converted GMC V6 Truck engine). Old dealership parts pile I wish I had picked more thoroughly.

Gosh, steel or not, I cannot see a lot of stability with a skirt that short.

What's the weight difference compared to a conventional design aluminum slug? I bet it can withstand higher boost levels. On new design engines, you can make the block deck height shorter and more compact for lighter weight and better packaging, and keep the size displacement. For our olde junque, these wouldent work well, but theres obviously a new application using them. Looks like a production ready part for something. With car manufacturers getting ready to jump on the "E" bandwagon and abandon piston engines, this is actually good to see.

The Detroit Series 50 CNG and Cummins ISL-G and L9-N CNG engines have been using steel pistons for years. Could not keep the aluminum pistons from cracking. Definitely not with those skirt lengths though!

Might? work with a huge rod ratio. Very short stroke or a really tall deck. For how long, maybe just enough time to set a national record. :)

They used steel pistons in the Forestry chainsaws ( i think it was the Stihl 090) here in Australia with 2 blades welded together 1 operator on each end they could walk straight through a 4 foot tree in a bushfire no chainbrake called them the Widowmaker

Gosh, steel or not, I cannot see a lot of stability with a skirt that short.
I see a lot of short skirt pistons working on modern 4T MX dirt bikes. Almost all of them are like that now and most rev over 11,000 rpm. You have to replace them far more often vs the old school long skirt pistons as wear can hurt stability.

Just to note, these are aluminum pistons and not steel like this topic is about.

KTM 350sx
od_17184186324?src=https%3A%2F%2Fd3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net%2F13000399%2Fimages%2Fvtktc23641a.jpg

Kawasaki KX450 (BTW, that's a Carrillo piston!)

kawasakikx450fset.jpg

-
Back