• Borgeson

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
-

72dustervs

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So biting the bullet and buying a firm feel steering box as I switched to a 73 disk on my 72 , and need the larger pitman arm spline and was thinking of the stage 3 firm feel for street , is this a good option for street and more modern ? I know there pricey but looks like anything comparable is pricey , are these a good fit for modern performance ? I know the original are spin with one finger

In some cases, you may get lucky and get a steering box that has very little free play from center. Many don't, even rebuilt ones. My Firm Feel Stage 3 was loose. See pictures below.
Steering wheel at center:

Borg 23.jpg

I could turn it to the left this far:

Borg 24.jpg

I could turn it to the right this far:

Borg 25.jpg

..Before the tires started to turn. This was a rebuilt Firm Feel unit with maybe 15,000 miles on it and it was adjusted as tight as it could be before binding. This free play was annoying to me for many reasons....one was the wandering when driving on crowned roads, bumpy surfaces, etc. I had a proper alignment and nothing in the car was bent or damaged so the slop was all in the steering box itself.
When it was fresh, it was great.

I have used both the firm feel, and Borgeson.
I like the Firm Feel, because it bolted right in, and works with the stock pump. I have stage 3.
I wish it was a stage 2. I feel the stage 3 is good for autocross, but not that great for daily driving.
Borgeson is more expensive.
I bought the factory style coupler. I had to shim the box for alignment. The small fitting that came with it would cause squealing, so, I exchanged it for the larger. It still shuddered, and squealed. I had to buy their high pressure pump for another $200. Also, I had to get the high pressure hose for a 69 Dart.Finally got it to work
properly.

Borgeson is far superior in my eyes (or hands) I had a 66 box stage 2 done and it was better than my 57,000mile factory box. Firm feel is a fantastic company to deal with - but it always has some road wonder. I swapped out the box (3,500miles old) and did the Borgeson box and joint kit. Using the factory power steering pump.
Borgeson hoses fit perfectly. Steering is night and day in my all restored 66 Barracuda with 273 and headers. Lots more room and the box fluid temps are 20degrees cooler than the typical FF box. Headers really do sit too close to the box.
947E4290-AA04-41F8-8CD9-4BC7A28321B8.jpeg

i've had a stage two in my car since 2000 and it's performed flawlessly. the "weight" feels much like a modern european car, good feedback and not overly assisted.

So biting the bullet and buying a firm feel steering box as I switched to a 73 disk on my 72 , and need the larger pitman arm spline and was thinking of the stage 3 firm feel for street , is this a good option for street and more modern ? I know there pricey but looks like anything comparable is pricey , are these a good fit for modern performance ? I know the original are spin with one finger
I put a FirmFeel stage 3 on my Dart before I sold it and thought it was too heavy. It also still had a little play on center. In hindsight I think a Borgeson would have been better but I never drove a car with a Borgeson so don't have a direct comparison.

I bought the stage 3 ,,6 to 8 weeks in shipping , I read many posts on all , the Borgeson may be better but has its own issues to adapt for use , many say a cooler needs added , and a different coupling as size differs , and some not all have had to shim and upgrade the pump in alot of cases but not everyone, flip of the coin I guess , they all love it in the end but to many upgrades may be necessary in some cases , , I like the easy swap of the FF , most do say the center play is small although a few say its to much , also read its expected of there product for some reason its the way there built , at least one person posted he was informed of this when he called them . I appreciate all the feedback but with all the money I have sunk into my Duster build I have to watch cost , I don't mind spending the money on a build but can get stretched thin sometimes lol , I hate to add up what I have invested so far

the Borgeson may be better but has its own issues to adapt for use , many say a cooler needs added , and a different coupling as size differs , and some not all have had to shim and upgrade the pump in alot of cases but not everyone, flip of the coin I guess , they all love it in the end but to many upgrades may be necessary in some cases , , I like the easy swap of the FF , most do say the center play is small although a few say its to much ,

this is why i'll be using an alter-k on anything else i build. i kick myself for not going that direction with our current dart but the wife wanted painted wheels with dog dishes so i figured it would be cheaper to do the stock style front end.. all these damn steering boxes all seem to have one issue or another and it scares the hell out of me. i really want a bergonson box but with my luck it will be one of those asshole boxes that drive me nuts. the rack that was in my yellow dart with the alter-k was awesome feeling and i miss it..

In some cases, you may get lucky and get a steering box that has very little free play from center. Many don't, even rebuilt ones. My Firm Feel Stage 3 was loose. See pictures below.
Steering wheel at center:

View attachment 1716069530

I could turn it to the left this far:

View attachment 1716069531

I could turn it to the right this far:

View attachment 1716069532

..Before the tires started to turn. This was a rebuilt Firm Feel unit with maybe 15,000 miles on it and it was adjusted as tight as it could be before binding. This free play was annoying to me for many reasons....one was the wandering when driving on crowned roads, bumpy surfaces, etc. I had a proper alignment and nothing in the car was bent or damaged so the slop was all in the steering box itself.
When it was fresh, it was great.
Great pictures and great reference points. This helps.

Our Borgeson kits take steering to a different level. The modern box has a faster ratio, tracks better and responds faster than any OE box could ever dream of. This is all in a smaller, lighter package that is not leak prone.

Also, unless you have 73 and up steering linkage, the larger sector box won't work.

Bergmanautocraft.com

-
Back