Steering box for a '64 Valiant?

-

sfvaliant

Reaction score
Hello FABO, it has been AWHILE for me on here!

It's time for me to replace my steering gear box (manual). It has a ton of play and I've come to the point that I feel it's unsafe.

Is there a favored, recommended replacement part for this?
Are there other associated parts you can recommend replacing while doing this?

My mechanical experience has mostly been with motorcycle engines, never done any steering work on a car, so assume I know nothing. :tongue5:

I'll chime in because I just went through this. You can buy a remanufactured unit from RockAuto.com or your local parts house or you can send your's off to be rebuilt. Firm Feel wanted $550 plus shipping (there and back) to rebuild my box and add a 20:1 worm gear. You can buy a new Flaming River gear box off of eBay for $499 with free shipping and it has a 16:1 gear ratio.

I found a guy selling a rebuilt gear box that had $400 worth of Firm Feel parts in it. I won the auction and got it for $418 shipped. That doesn't happen often though. Good luck!

I'll chime in because I just went through this. You can buy a remanufactured unit from RockAuto.com or your local parts house or you can send your's off to be rebuilt. Firm Feel wanted $550 plus shipping (there and back) to rebuild my box and add a 20:1 worm gear. You can buy a new Flaming River gear box off of eBay for $499 with free shipping and it has a 16:1 gear ratio.

I found a guy selling a rebuilt gear box that had $400 worth of Firm Feel parts in it. I won the auction and got it for $418 shipped. That doesn't happen often though. Good luck!

Is there a strong opinion on the Firm Feel vs. a remanufactured unit?
The reman's are obviously cheaper but is it junk?

Thanks so much guys for the quick response.

I'm pretty sure that a reman unit just includes new seals and bearings. That's what FF does too. The new worm gear with the improved ratio is where things start getting expensive.

Have you tried to adjust the play out of yours? . We played with the adjustment a bit on my old box and pumped the box full of grease and I was able to get several more years of service out of it. I just sold it here to a member as a good working unit. I just wanted the faster ratio box.

I'm pretty sure that a reman unit just includes new seals and bearings. That's what FF does too. The new worm gear with the improved ratio is where things start getting expensive.

Have you tried to adjust the play out of yours? . We played with the adjustment a bit on my old box and pumped the box full of grease and I was able to get several more years of service out of it. I just sold it here to a member as a good working unit. I just wanted the faster ratio box.

I have done the play adjustment in the service manual but there is tons of play in the shaft. The seals are also completely blown and the box hardly retains oil, so I would need the reman at a minimum. But to your point, I can do a little searching to see if a member has one in good condition.

Time is a little critical though since it's at a point that it feels too unsafe... Making this decision after an 800mi trip through the Sierras and Nevada desert - Which i might start a new thread regarding a couple roadside repairs...

Just need something for a good driver quality that is safe, and hopefully doesnt break the bank!

Just need something for a good driver quality that is safe, and hopefully doesnt break the bank!

I think the remans run around $280 on eBay. Good used ones pop up here on FABO for sale pretty regularly. I just sold mine yesterday for $125 shipped and it came with a kit to rebuild the steering coupler.

Good luck with your search.

Related question: Is there any source of rebuild kits or sets of recirc bals out there anymore for a standard early 60's Mopar A or B box? I have just started looking but have not found much yet.

Never mind: I just checked the FirmFeel site and it looks like the place to go.

So if you have play in the shaft, it's probably the sector shaft bushing. Might be cheaper to just replace that.

-
Back