Steering box swap With TTI headers

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I have a 66 Dart Small Block that I need to pull the manual steering box off and replace it with a Power steering box. Yes I m getting to old to fight that manual steering.
I was wondering if anyone had pulled a box off that had TTI headers. It looks like a very tight fit and I really dont want to remove the header. In looking at this I may be able to drop the K-frame enough to allow access but im not sure. I do have a 2 post lift or a drive on lift to work off of.
Let me hear your stories and the easiest way you found to do this change over. Its going to be a winter project so I am just getting as much information in order to prepare.
I also know I have to change out the steering shaft and coupling as well.
Thanks
Rod

In my 66 Barracuda I’m running Doug’s headers and the Bergerson power steering box for Mopar abodies. So much more room and like 17lbs lighter.

In my 66 Barracuda I’m running Doug’s headers and the Bergerson power steering box for Mopar abodies. So much more room and like 17lbs lighter.
Can you post a photo of that power steering set up? I was thinking about changing mine to power steering in my 66 cuda also. Thanks

A/B Mopar- here you go. Hard to show but I can run my hand all the way around the box under the header. With factory box I could not even get close. Lucky for me I have a spare k frame I used for the line up.
Box works awesome and previous box was a firm feel level 2. They do excellent work but the idea of dropping 17lbs, gaining loads of room AND steers more like a new car…. I’m all in.
Syleng1

7053BC46-27EA-43D0-831A-CB8FEF30D2C1.jpeg

5E7C0288-049D-485D-8173-F6BB03F369DD.jpeg

6BD9CC2B-6A4F-413F-AF13-0863D08817F2.jpeg

959D49BA-E0A1-4C6C-85A8-C4219CB67A1B.jpeg

A/B Mopar- here you go. Hard to show but I can run my hand all the way around the box under the header. With factory box I could not even get close. Lucky for me I have a spare k frame I used for the line up.
Box works awesome and previous box was a firm feel level 2. They do excellent work but the idea of dropping 17lbs, gaining loads of room AND steers more like a new car…. I’m all in.
Syleng1

View attachment 1715994845

View attachment 1715994846

View attachment 1715994847

View attachment 1715994848
thanks for the pics,,,I think I will try to copy what you did. How do you think it will fit with the factory exhaust manifolds??

thanks for the pics,,,I think I will try to copy what you did. How do you think it will fit with the factory exhaust manifolds??
More room than you can imagine. Lol! You could possibly fit a pizza oven on there.

@Syleng1 not to high jack the thread, but do you know if the Borgeson will connect directly to the factory shaft, or is a ujoint required?
I tried their U joint. The splines are different. Plus the steering shaft has to be cut if you are going from factory PS to borgeson. I cannot answer if manual steering to Borgeson ps has to be cut.
It was like 2+inches had to come off maybe 3”. I did the conversion like 6months ago. I know their u joint is expensive but a real quality piece for the money.

I'm going to have to rethink my plans. That room looks very nice.
The room is very nice as the power steering fluid temps dropped 20 degrees. I added a small cooler to drop it an additional 10more. Drivers side Headers have no where to expel heat but into that factory box. Like a giant cast heat sink. The clearance is amazing.Lol! Plus I can get to the box fittings really easily now.

early abody tti headers have larger tubes then the dougs. not sure you'll pull it off without pulling that header off.

-
Back