steering box

-

Duster708

Reaction score
I swaped a1973 up k frame in my duster was wondering if the steering boxes were the same or different from the early style k frame

Depends on how early. I think anything from 68-78 is the same from cars or vans

How the boxes bolt to the K is the same. How the pitman arms attach to the draglinks is different.

ok so the pitman and idler arms will be different then

And the draglink or center link might be different too. Or maybe all of it is the same. It all changes together.
The simplest indicator is the hex nut that holds the pitman arm on the steering gear. If you remove a steering gear that has a 1&1/8 hex nut and install a steering gear that has a 1&5/16 nut you will need the draglink and arms that go with it.

so are the splines different or do i just order the specific pitman and idler arms i need bc i got a hotchkis kit

68/ later, you can put any year box on the K frame, and include 67 with "some work"

What changes is the later boxes are larger spline, so you MUST have the larger pitman to match. Since this is the later one, you then need the later center link and pitman to match.

Here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=236925

The early setup has the pitman/ idler attaching nuts on the top of the center link. Later is pointing down.

You can use the same tire rod ends and sleeves.

On a 67 K, if you need the later "stuff" you'll have to fabricate the idler bracket, as it's "one year only," and the later stuff won't fit.

Example, for the present, I'm using a 73/4 K under my 67 to get the later idler mount and spool engine mounts, but I"m using the earlier center link/ small spline box.

There is a possible combination of mix matched parts that will not work. The pitman arm required to make it work was never produced ( draglink upside down doesn't work either ).
Bottom line... Use matched group of parts, steering gear, pitman arm, draglink, idler arm.

-
Back