Steering Column, Auto/Stick

-

Tracy S

Reaction score
I have a '73 Duster. I'm switching from auto, column shift, power steering to an aftermarket ( Hurst Pro-Matic 2) auto floor shift, with manual steering. I found a floor shift column, but from a manual shift (stick) car. The guy wants $250.00 for the column and the manual steering box with pitman arm. My question is, is the neutral safety switch going to be a hassle? Can I swap the wiring harness out of my column-shift column into the floor shift column? I am going to take the "new" column apart anyway to change the key switch. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

If you have an automatic transmission, then your neutral safety switch is located on the trans. It does not matter if it's a column or floor shift because the shift linkage on the outside of the trans controls the switch. The switch has a dual function, i.e. it is a neutral safety and backup light switch. You should find a seperate wiring harness coming from that switch up to the starter solenoid on the firewall near the brake booster. Part of that harness plugs into the solenoid and the other part plugs into a connector for the backup lights (if you have them).

Thank you. I did the same swap in a '73 Cuda years ago, and I thought the neutral safety switch was somehow connected to the ignition switch. I pulled the 318/904 two weeks ago. I just ran out to the garage and I see the harness you are talking about. What do you think of the price for the floor shift column and manual steering box? $250 too much, or just about right? Before I buy, I would swap the column shift column and power steering box with all brackets for a floor shift column and manual box. Anyone interested?

-
Back