Steering Column: How to get to ignition switch.

-
Reaction score
How do I take apart the steering column (74 scamp /6)
I already got past the section with the blinker and hazard light switches. How do I get the wheel lock gear out of the way?

Steering Lock Gear.jpg

You should be able to remove the metal cover at the center of that steering wheel lock. After that as best I remember there is a pin that attaches it to the shaft. You willl drive the pin out and you can get that lock off. After that you can get down to where the ingition switch itself. Hope this helps you. Matt

I can't remember right off, but if you can push down on the gear and it feels spring loaded, it should have a C clip around the shaft that you should be able to see when you push it down.

There wasn't any pins, but there are three indents that look like they could hold that metal shroud (around the shaft) on.

I pulled the c-clip off and the thing still won't budge.

I am almost certain that the outer round cover will come off. I believe its the thing you are describing with three indentions. I think it is just a cover that covers up the pin that holds that on. Matt

Mattsmopars is correct that tin ring needs to come off then you can drive the roll pin out ...

Yup, mattsmopars is correct. Grab the central metal ring with a pair of pliers and rotate it to and fro; it'll come right off. Then drive out the roll pin holding the lock plate onto the steering shaft and you're all set.

When I did this on my '71, I left the lockplate (and its lever) out upon reassembly.

Thanks abodyjoe that sight is pretty detailed.

I just got the tin ring off. The pin is pretty tight and we wanted to eat dinner so we took a break, I will go at it again in a bit.
What would you recommend using to remove the pin? (a hammer + ?)
I already tried a center punch.

Alright the blinkers are working good now.

The new problem is it won't start. I replaced the fuses, the neutral safety switch, and the starter relay but it still won't even turn over.

I am going to try and replace the ignition switch but the pin (holding the locking plate) is really stuck in good.

I know (now) that I have to hit it towards the driver side window. So, from the bottom. I started this and progress is really slow. I hit it from the wrong side a little too much and forced it out a little bit.

I'll get this replaced today and ad any questions if this does not fix the problem.

-
Back