Steering Column Install help???

-

moparspares

Reaction score
1) Would I install steering column with the coupler attached to the shaft, and then feed the whole lot onto steering box

or

2) Install coupler on the steering box and then feed shaft with blocks into the coupler.

I went with option 1 but Im buggered if I can get the darn thing on the spline. I have moved it every which way while keeping pressure on it but it just wont go. Maybe the angle of the shaft is preventing it maybe but I have my wife holding the weight for me.

The splines are keyed so it will only go on in one position.
Look at them closely and you will see a missing tooth that needs to be
in alignment.

Also make sure you put the coupler on the right way, it can go on 189 degrees out, which will make the steering wheel upside down.
Make sure the coupler slides on the steering box easy before attempting it.
Attach coupler to the steering column and slide it together.

Also are you mix and matching parts, if so there is two different diameters between manual and power couplers on the splines.

On the assembly line, the wheels were set straight ahead. That put the master spline of the steering gear on top center. Notch in edge of coupler identifies that master spline location on top. Spline at steering wheel end on top. Knocking the split pin through is to the engine side of the coupler. They did have matching parts / spline sizes though.
The 2 studs that the column hang from are long enough to just start those nuts supporting the column weight and aligning it while the coupler is coaxed into its proper position. I don't bother with starting the nuts. Instead I stack shop manuals in the drivers seat under the steering wheel to get a good angle on the dangle.

Thanks guys I will try again. The parts are the ones I took off so there is no mismatch. I can see the missing tooth on the steering box and will look at the coupler tomorrow when I have more light so i can see where it lines up.

The way I do mine is to "rough" it in. Get it sort of lined up, complete with coupler on column, "in place" and tie something under the column from above on the support, like a sling, leaving enough slack to slide it.

Then you should be able to go out into the engine bay and work the coupler onto the box. Yeh. LOL. It can take some 'messin. As mentioned, you can assemble the coupler 180 off, which puts the wheel upside down in order to get the coupling on. At that point you might as well pull it out and "fix" the coupler.

If you can get the coupler on far enough to expose the shaft groove, you can work an awl into the cross pin hole and "pull" the coupler rest of way......

887_moy.jpg

You don't wanna' push and bang on the column much.....you'll collapse the "collapsable" column

Steady pressure little twisting and some shaking, if you hold your tongue just right it will work. Putting the spring wire retainer back in there over the metal hold down cap is the real fun part!!

-
Back