Steering Column Install

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the specific, "correct" way to install the steering column..? Like what should be tightened first..? What order are things tightened..? Floor plate, under dash column bracket, "o" ring to floor plate retainer, etc..
72 Demon Manual Steering 4 spd
Thanks..!

Last edited:
Factory service manual

Mymopar.com

free down load
Thanks..! I have a Service Manual, but it includes different models and steering set-ups.. Auto / Power etc.. It's a bit confusing and I don't really see a step by step.. Just figured someone here has done it so much they could do it in their sleep.
I'll look my manual over again.

Last edited:
This is from 67 FSM

Screenshot_20240307-211235.png

The way "I" do it: I hang the column by the bracket under the dash loosely. I position the floor plate and start the bolts. Again. Loosely. Since the column can slide up and down until tightened, I start with it "up" and away from the steering box. Then I get out and with someone inside the car to gently lift the column up so it will slide forward, I slide the column forward and install the coupler on the gear box and either tighten the pinch bolt or install the roll pin. Then, I get back inside and position the column under the dash in the correct place and tighten it down and then I finally tighten the floor plate and make my electrical connections.

Last edited:
RRR has good advice here. Surely a 2-man job to make it a lot easier lining up the steering shaft.

Yes to all of the above, plus, I center the 3 plate bolts to firewall plate. Those 3 holes are a little large, I just try to get them centered.

The way "I" do it: I hang the column by the bracket under the dash loosely. I position the floor plate and stretch the bolts. Again. Loosely. Since the column can slide up and down until tightened, I start with it "up" and away from the steering box. Then I get out and with someone inside the car to gently lift the column up so it will slide forward, I slide the column forward and install the coupled on the gear box and either tighten the pinch bolt or install the roll pin. Then, I get back inside and position the column under the dash in the correct place and tighten it down and then I finally tighten the floor plate and make my electrical connections.
I think I finally got it all buttoned up... but my tuff wheel adapter still looks "off" as far as an equal gap to the column collar.. Like the shaft end is still not perfectly centered. There's a wider gap at the bottom of the adapter compared to the top.

20240304_171324.jpg

-
Back