steering column noise

-

Shane

Reaction score
My steering column has started to make a screehing/grinding noise while I turn the wheel....it seems to be getting worse. Sometimes it feels like it is catching something and doesnt turn smoothly.

I could be wrong, but it seems that if its cold out it isnt as bad...on a real hot day its worse...

Is there a way I can lubricate it or fix it some how, or do I have to take it out and have it re-done?

Thanks again,

Shane

What car are you talking about?..........and exactly where is the sound you hear....is it IN the wheel or just behind it, OR is it up front by the firewall..........does it "moan", or just grind so that you feel it right in the steering wheel?

it is a 68 barracuda convertible....i thought it was just behind the wheel, but i pulled the wheel off and it seems that it is coming from the column some where behind the wheel and the inner firewall....

it is ok the odd time, then other times it makes noises , and then sticks a little and makes a grinding sound....

Without being there, I'll stab.........If it's power steering, make sure you have enough fluid in the pump.

There is a bearing under the steering wheel that encircles the shaft....appx. 6" from the end of the shaft.........The back of these are sometimes open on an older car exposing the rollers to dust and dirt.......If it dries out, the rollers can get nasty pretty fast........be sure that bearing is not the culprit......removing the turn signal harness and the first steering bell is a must if you want to service that bearing.

Then, check the other end by the steering box where they connect........this could be bad too..........sometimes they can be greased back into a working condition, and sometimes not....if yours is "grabbing", chances are good that the coupler area needs to be refreshed.........next in line would be your steering box and the gears....have it checked at a garage if you haven't serviced these parts before..........you have something VERY dry in there from the sound of it............proper grease and lube could save the day.........

If you want to do this yourself, someone else should chime in on the proper procedure for grease and lube at the box and coupler area.

hey thanks!

From the way you described it, i am going to try and get to that bearing you mentioned, That seems to be the area I can hear the sound coming from..

Could you give me a quick step by step to "remove the first bell"

I am pretty sure I know how to take the turn signal harness off...

thanks

Could very well be bad bearing/s in the column. They aren't made of much. Impossible to lube.
Best diagnosis would be seperate the box coupling from the gearbox and spin the wheel.

Look on this site for an excellent explanation: http://70duster440.com/interior.html
Depending on your column, I found there are just a few minor deviations from what is pictured. I just went through taking two columns apart and putting them back together. Not that hard with directions! I also recommend getting a service manual on cd. They're cheap and invaluable to have around.

If you want to try lubing the first bearing in line, that is the one mounted in the outer bell, it's not that hard............

Loosen the column a little underneath the dash.....don't remove any bolts, just loosen it up. Take the steering wheel off, and expose the turn signal switch. Remove the little screws holding it in, and remove the long one holding the turn signal handle on. .......and then pull the wiring harness a little toward you, while pushing it up the column a bit from the underside.

Get the switch as far out of your way as possible, pulling it off the column carefully.

Look for the snap ring that holds that first bell to the column (you'll need "outer" snap ring pliers).....once the snap ring is off, you can remove the screws holding the bell on to the next one.........

The outer bell should now come off the column.......look inside, and you should see the little bearing from the inside........the balls should be exposed just a little......you can force feed new grease in there with your finger, and then clean it all up good with a paper towel........turn it with your finger and see if it's any better.........If yes, reverse the process and see what you have. 8)

Again thanks to everyone!!

I killed two birds with one stone with this post!

I got a new bearing on the way, plus my one tab on the signal switch was busted, and would not turn off the signal when I turn right, so I was that loser cruising down the road with his signal on the whole time.

I couldnt fork out the 200 plus for a new signal switch, but 30 dollars from napa for the repair kit fits right in the budget!

Shane

hello....

So I have the snap ring off, and the screws that hold the bell to the next one, But i am having a heck of a time getting the outter bell to slide off the column..

any tricks to get it to slide off??

thanks

Shane

Little WD-40 might help. Without a special puller....
Pry between the bells and hit down on the shaft with wood or brass. Dont damage its threads. The bearing will come off the shaft or come apart.

-
Back