Steering Column Paint

-

Rbob

Reaction score
Part of the steering column is in the engine compartment, Is it correct to leave it the interior trim color or should it be black?

Whatever color, best to use a 500 F engine paint in the bay since the column is near the exhaust (mine was peeling). My Dart is black interior, so can't say since both sides are black. A good guess is that the factory painted the column all one color. The engine compartment walls would have been painted with the body, with nothing installed.

The lower end of the column tube should have a shot of black just like the radiator support behind the grilles. They never put a lot of effort in those small cosmetic details.
I've seen where they tryed to touch up small scars on the engine and dripped more paint on the exhaust manifolds than was used hiding the scar.

Mine was the column color. The bracket that peeks through the hole is black. Paint was in good condition. Just touched up a few little nicks that I did when I tried to swap the steering box earlier.
columninstall.jpg

Mine was the column color. The bracket that peeks through the hole is black. Paint was in good condition. Just touched up a few little nicks that I did when I tried to swap the steering box earlier.
columninstall.jpg

Yours is not shot with black because red is red. Other color combinations will look much worse.

Its painted the color of the interior. Not the best picture but you can see the blue on the column of this Challenger. This car was rewarded Gold at the Nats a few years ago.

Attachments

• 1201.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 258
Maybe so. My car was originally white with that maroon column poking out.

Our first 67 fish was white with red guts also. Slant 6 car. There was a little black paint on the top of the column. When I took it out changing to V8 floor shift I found only the top was blacked. The bottom side still red as day one.
I didn't buy it new though. Did a previous owner paint it ? Does slant 6 with increased visibility make a difference ? I give up.

-
Back