Steering Column Paint

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I'm in the process of rebuilding my steering column in my 67. I have a black interior and will paint my column black to match. I was wondering what paint to use to get the original look of the old paint. \
I still haven't found a lower bearing yet, anyone have an idea where I can pick one up. Thanks in advance.

the dash and column are a suede finish. It's available in quart cans. SEMS Landau black from a spray can will be close enough if you dry spray the top coat.

Krylon has a textured black if yours has more texture to it.

Perhaps the Organosol Black from Totally Auto? It comes in a spray can, it has a nice matte finish and has a subtle texture to it.

I think the texture varied from the factory depending on conditions and who sprayed it. My Challenger didn't have any texture to the dash or the column. I used SEM Trim Black and it turned out perfect. My Dart however does have quite a bit of texture to it. I just got done with my column and I sprayed my dash frame last weekend. I ended up using Rustoleum fine textured finish. Then I sprayed a satin clear over it. The Rustoleum has slightly more texture then stock. That's why I sprayed the clear. Without it, it would be hard to get the dust off. If you are wanting to have the car judged, then go with the correct suede paint. I think the Rustoleum is a great option if you aren't worried about being 100% correct.

Heres trim black on my column and dash.

Attachments

• 166.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 277
Here is Trim Black on my Challenger column.

-
Back