Steering Column Problem

-

rymanrph

Reaction score
My steering column is not constructed correctly. There are two screws that look like they should hold the collar onto the column, but there is nothing for them to screw into. I can stick a screw driver completely in the hole and never touch anything on the other side.

In this picture you can see one of the two screws and holes I'm referring to.

CC2C4246-ABF8-4172-B2FE-EFB028319BF2_zpsuds9zqwk.jpg

Here is the gap that should be closed by these two screws (I assume). The only thing right now that's keeping this gap somewhat small is the steering wheel itself.

27373CBC-5A24-4BF8-9EE8-38E102EAAB7B_zpsttqdxkjo.jpg

What am I missing?

There are two nuts that lock into the lower column. They are square and are a little bit of a PITA. Your going to have to separate the two columns to understand how they hold.

Those are sort of rectangular nuts if I remember correctly. One side a little longer than the other. They seem to barely catch notches created in the shift tube. It is possible to back the bolts all the way out and drop the nuts. The nuts do need to be on the bolts.

did you disassemble your column-- those are not the correct screws---- I'll have to search I think someone made a steering column rebuild thread. Lawrence

I took apart the column to figure out why there was so much slop. Those screws that I took a picture of were just sitting there loose.

The correct bolts have a square/rectangular head on them. They push through the holes from the back side. The nuts go on the top side. The head of the bolt fits into notches in the outer column jacket. Get the correct bolts and it will make sense.

VDART sent me the nuts and bolts that I was missing, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how they would hold the two collar pieces together.

4B2BCBD3-59BF-41A5-BCB2-7FFE1AABD759_zpse2djexno.jpg

50638673-54EB-4CE8-9367-855BEB1CF212_zpszj2nqhut.jpg

What am I missing?

Look at the top of the steering column's outer shaft/tube. There are square holes stamped into the tube that the flat of the bolt goes into.

I aint had columns apart in a long while but... Isn't that collar attached to the shift tube and rotates with the shift tube.
Is it possible that this is no longer a complete column shift assembly ?

That collar should rotate with the shift tub on a column shift car.(it still will rotate on a floor shift column as well) The upper section that houses the turn signal switch is the part that gets bolted to the main outer tube. That upper section just puts downward pressure against the lower collar...there is a spring washer under the collar.

It shouldn't rotate on a floor shift column. Its attached to the outer tube in a different manner. Cross bolt through a hole underneath I think.

Here...this shows the notches where the heads of the bolts hook on. The upper collar gets bolted to the outer tube. The lower collar just floats there...it has downward pressure from the upper collar and upward pressure from the spring washer holding it in place.

It shouldn't rotate on a floor shift column.

The only thing holding it stationary on mine was the spring washer under it. It doesn't move easily but it will move if you grab it and twist. There is nothing else holding it. This is on a 68 column.

So, when I'm reassembling it, is there a sequence to getting everything lined up correctly? When I had the collars on the column, I tried tightening the nuts but it didn't really seem like it was doing anything.

The upper collar only sits down onto the outer tube one way. There are one or two notches cut out of the very top of the outer tube. If you look on the under side of the upper collar, you'll see some raised areas that sit into the cutouts on the top of the outer tube.

Completely remove that lower collar. Figure out how the upper collar needs to be positioned. Then mark the upper collar and the outer tube so you can get them lined up again once the lower collar is in place.

The only thing holding it stationary on mine was the spring washer under it. It doesn't move easily but it will move if you grab it and twist. There is nothing else holding it. This is on a 68 column.

I don't know about a 68 but the 70 has a hole in the lower collar which is a access hole for a 1/8 inch Allen head set screw that holds the lower collar on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 241
Mine didn't have that. It took awhile to figure it out that's for sure. The upper collar and spring washer on the bottom, put enough pressure on the lower collar to keep it from rattling...at least I hope so.

Mine has it. You can clearly see the screw backed most of the way out in one of my pictures.

Yep, I see it. I'll look at home tonight on mine. I think I remember a hole on the inside but it wasn't threaded. There is no hole on the outside.

I ordered a Ron Francis wiring kit so I decided to take apart my steering column to replace the harness... I dropped the square nuts just like rymanrph... This is gonna be a job. If anyone has any more info or pics I'm gonna need all the help I can get... (Also I'm gonna convert it to a console shifter... Should I just do away with entire steering column and get the correct one?

-
Back