Steering Column question???

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
Putting my column back together and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong!!!
When you sandwich the two top housings together the two screws in the pic are the first to go in but they arent threading into anything below. I took em out so I know they must but what the heck am I doing wrong???

F2AE8C2B-9032-4548-B607-33CF9969BEF4.jpeg

D880C4D4-5D4C-412C-8CE4-D128F9DC9023.jpeg

Putting my column back together and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong!!!
When you sandwich the two top housings together the two screws in the pic are the first to go in but they arent threading into anything below. I took em out so I know they must but what the heck am I doing wrong???

View attachment 1715495205

View attachment 1715495206
Never mind. I was kinda wondering what these square nuts were for......

Never mind. I was kinda wondering what these square nuts were for......
Do you have the service manual for the car the column came from? If you google My Mopar you can download one for it i believe.

Do you have the service manual for the car the column came from? If you google My Mopar you can download one for it i believe.
I do but I found an article online that mentioned these square nuts. I must have lost them without knowing it when I disassembled the column a while ago. Luckily I have a second already disassembled column that had them. I just didn’t know what they were for!!
I still don’t quite get how they bring the two housings together but they do.
A6DE16BC-B363-498D-A44B-195B2F9B7D95.jpeg

C3875423-D5D6-4340-934A-E89E35FA726D.jpeg

Look on the center tube, you will see a spot where they fit into and when you use those two screws it will tighten everything together.

Look on the center tube, you will see a spot where they fit into and when you use those two screws it will tighten everything together.
Oh I gotcha! I was a bit confused until I realized the article I was looking at was for a B-body column which is def a bit different. It calls for “balancing” those nuts on the column while tightening. Huh? I see the slots on mine you are talking about now. I can’t believe I lost the nuts to my original column. What a dummy.

Wrong screws! Should be square headed screws (about 1") and two castle headed hex nuts. Install loosely so head of screws catch two square holes in column.

Wrong screws! Should be square headed screws (about 1") and two castle headed hex nuts. Install loosely so head of screws catch two square holes in column.
There are 2 different designs/hardware types. One has round head screws going into square nuts from top, other has square head screws from bottom with nuts on top.

yea im having issues with this as well. I have tried to locate the screws, that fell into the column but no luck. im going to have to tear it apart and locate them. Any tricks to getting them lined up and held in place?

yea im having issues with this as well. I have tried to locate the screws, that fell into the column but no luck. im going to have to tear it apart and locate them. Any tricks to getting them lined up and held in place?

I feel u guys pain , those were designed by mickey and donald , gotta keep fighting it .

-
Back