steering column rant

-

kursplat

Reaction score
i don't know how many steering columns i've reinstalled over the years without a problem, but THIS THING IS PISSIN' ME OFF :angry5:
i've tryed this thing 20 times and can not get the coupler to slide down to the second set of splines. i keep checking to make sure the master spline is lined up and no burrs inside the coupler, and it just won't go

^$#@@@*&##&^!!%^$$#@**"!!

anyone got an idea?

thanks

maybe get out the air powered wire brush and clean it up that way...then lube it up a little..make sure the master spline looks right...and get a bigger hammer...sometimes you can entice them with a set of old vice graps on the shaft and a few good whacks..good luck

maybe get out the air powered wire brush and clean it up that way...then lube it up a little..make sure the master spline looks right...and get a bigger hammer...sometimes you can entice them with a set of old vice graps on the shaft and a few good whacks..good luck
ya, i'll try cleaning it out again. hate to start wacking on it, to me, that means it won disgust. if i do break down though, my large pickle fork will fit over the shaft and i can hammer on that.
just thinkin' about it. i could disassemble the coupler, install it on the box's shaft by itself and then assemble the guts / column. good access from below since the exhaust is off.
sounds like a crap way to do it, but you do what ya gotta

sometimes those rag joints (the technical name) are a sloppy mess to get aligned and hold together all while pushing them down onto the splines...i know when i went from power to manual the rag joint came off in pieces and clips everywhere. i ended up with a spline adaptor that was just straight for about $15 w/o the sloppy rag setup..
now i dunno if u r manual or power..but this link should get u started if u strike out with the rag..as long as u measure and count splines properly.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...?keyword=steering+coupler&kr=steering+coupler

Man theres a ton of couplers and rag joints in that link. Which one specifically?

thats the thing.. u have to count your splines needed on both sides, and measure the width. columns changed from year to year, and power to manual....so you're gonne have to do some HW...then on the left side of the page it says "shaft end 1" and "shaft end 2"...select what u need..and there u go. just make sure its long enough.
option 2 being call a chrysler dealer and order a new stock style rag joint if yours is sloppy.

i don't know how many steering columns i've reinstalled over the years without a problem, but THIS THING IS PISSIN' ME OFF :angry5:
i've tryed this thing 20 times and can not get the coupler to slide down to the second set of splines. i keep checking to make sure the master spline is lined up and no burrs inside the coupler, and it just won't go

^$#@@@*&##&^!!%^$$#@**"!!

anyone got an idea?

thanks
I had the same trouble when I was installing my column , I blamed it on the seal.
What I did was with the assembly out I got a piece of 3/4 inch plastic pipe (measured the length between the coupler and the end of the column I needed) cut a piece of pipe off. Now cut that length of the pipe in two
put it between the column and the couple and place a hose clamp around it.
Slide the steering assembly in bolt it in place and install the roll pin, remove the hose clamp and the two pieces.

Kenny

Yup I'll probably just install a new rag joint. Simple is good.

got it assembled. took the guts out, slid the coupler body on NO PROBLEM :banghead: and reassembled it in place. worked slick since the exhaust pipe was out at the time

thanks for all the suggestions everyone

chuck

-
Back