Steering Column Reassembly - Gutted?

-
Reaction score
Finally got the nerve to tackle removing the shifter tube from my steering column and while I have it torn down waiting to be painted and reassembled, I was wondering if there are any components in there that I can leave out. The car is wired as a race car, so it has no turn signals, hazards, doesn't use the ignition switch, etc. and there is no reason for the steering wheel to lock anymore.

I remember seeing when disassembling it that some of the components sit on top of each other, so I was wondering if there is anything I can leave out when I reassemble it. Does the turn signal switch have to go back in? Ignition switch? Steering wheel lock? Let me know if I can leave any or all of these components out. If it all has to go back in, that's fine, but anything I can leave out would be fantastic.

Turn signal switch is part of brake lamp circuit so you would need to do some rewiring for working brake lamps

Turn signal switch is part of brake lamp circuit so you would need to do some rewiring for working brake lamps

Thanks, the car has no brake lights nor any other functioning street equipment or factory wiring. It is only wired to have ignition, the line lock, and gauge lights/taillights that are not operated by the factory circuit, they are on their own switch.

With that information, does the turn signal switch have to be in place for everything to bolt back together correctly?

I don't think anything is required except the upper bearing and snap ring above it.

-
Back