steering column shaft settles and drags on wheel

-

73 Plymouth Duster

Reaction score
I have a power steering 318 73 duster with a Grant steering wheel. The problem I am having is the steering wheel (and obviously the shaft it's bolted to) will move in and out slightly. It will stop when you try to pull on it and leaves like 1/8th in between steering wheel back plate and column. But it will work it's way down every 5 min to where it will settle on the column and rub, which makes for terrible steering and dragging.

How to I keep it locked in the "out 1/8th inch" position so it won't rub? Did I miss a spacer or something when I put on the steering wheel?

There is supposed to be a tiny snap ring above the upper bearing. That is the only thing that sets shaft length above the bearing. I suppose if the rubber isolator on the upper bearing was missing, the bearing could drop a little deeper into the cavity.
In any case you want the top of the shaft to sit down as far as it goes and alter what ever aftermarket wheel adapter to fit there without conflict.

That's probably the best idea, i'll take off the wheel and see how far down it settles and just grind down the steering back plate. Thanks guys!

-
Back