Status
Not open for further replies.

1970duster440

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Help....Need a steering column shaft for a 70 Duster w/manual steering. I cut the column shifter and the shift indicator off, plugged up the holes, dressed it up w/body filler, painted and made it look really nice. You can't tell it from a floor shift column. I have a lot of work in the column. Put it in today and found out it's 3 plus inches too short. If you have a shaft you want to sell, I need to buy it. Thanks.

Sounds like you have a power steering one. I don't have what you need, but thought I'd mention that the power ones (I think) are shorter.

Chrysler uses a hollow shaft that will extend. The shaft is held together using plastic rivets. You can break the rivets and extend the shaft to fit whatever steering box you might want to use. I know this because I Stock Car raced Mopars on the Dirt, and I used many different combinations of steering, manual and power.

Chrysler uses a hollow shaft that will extend. The shaft is held together using plastic rivets. You can break the rivets and extend the shaft to fit whatever steering box you might want to use. I know this because I Stock Car raced Mopars on the Dirt, and I used many different combinations of steering, manual and power.

People have defeated the colapsable columns to make them shorter but I never heard of anyone going that route to make it longer... not sure that will work.
I may have a correct shaft here. Confirm in 2 hours :)

Yep Got the shaft for manual steer a-body. 35 bones includes ship to Florida

man i don't know if i would want to use that on the street...

firmfeel and flaming river make adapters to safely use a ps shaft on a ms car.

man i don't know if i would want to use that on the street...

firmfeel and flaming river make adapters to safely use a ps shaft on a ms car.

I agree I'm buying a shaft from Redfish. I'm really not into the pain thing and that could leave a mark.

thats cool.. that makes it an easy job.. i was basically replying to the just streach the shaft out thing.

thats cool.. that makes it an easy job.. i was basically replying to the just streach the shaft out thing.
Yeah..No problem ...The only way I would attempt that for a street car is if I could replace the rivets with the proper ones.

yet another way to do it and still less coin than aftermarket adapters....
A close inspection of the shaft will reveal a tiny (1/8") weld bead where the first member is attached. Toss the shaft in a lathe and cut that weld apart and replace the first member with donor from most any column available to gain the 3 inches needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back