Steering Column Shaft

-

hcarr

Reaction score
Is it possible to change the steering column shaft without removing the whole steering column. I'molder and weaker now and any corners I can cut will help my old body.

No the shaft will not come out in that direction

Thanks Scott, I was afraid of that. I guess that will be an all day job for me.

May I ask why you need to remove the shaft? If you could get the cross pin removed you could pull the shaft along with the upper collar but that pin is a bear to remove even when it’s out of the car.

You CAN do it, but it's not made to take apart "that way" and it will be a real pain. You will be wishing every second of the job that you removed the column.

The teeth in the top of the shaft are messed up and so are the threads where the steering wheel bolts on. I have a steering column that I can still the shaft from.I am guessing that a previous owner must have not had the teeth aligned with the flat spot on the wheel and shaft and messed up the threads on both.

You CAN do it, but it's not made to take apart "that way" and it will be a real pain. You will be wishing every second of the job that you removed the column.
Rob, anything I try and do anymore is a real pain for me. I used to for years liked working on cars, but not so much anymore and my age and health.

The teeth in the top of the shaft are messed up and so are the threads where the steering wheel bolts on. I have a steering column that I can still the shaft from.I am guessing that a previous owner must have not had the teeth aligned with the flat spot on the wheel and shaft and messed up the threads on both.
Understood. But please trust us. Steering columns are tedious enough jobs when servicing them correctly. I just refurbished the three on the tree column in my 64 Valiant not long ago. Not the first column I've ever removed by a long shot, but was the first manual column I've done. I took my time. One step at a time with my factory service manual right on the bench and it came out great. Just go slow and easy and pace yourself. You'll get it done. If you get hung up on something, give us a shout and we'll try to help.

Rob, anything I try and do anymore is a real pain for me. I used to for years liked working on cars, but not so much anymore and my age and health.
I still enjoy it, but I completely understand where you're coming from. I used to lay on a creeper under cars until 3 in the mornin and then go to work or school the next mornin. I HATE creepers now. LOL

-
Back