steering column/steering box ???

-

carls72dart

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a 72 dart. I'm in the process of swapping from a column shift and power steering to floor shift w/manual steering. I just installed the floor shift manual column (from a 70 duster) and the manual box (aluminum housing- unsure of the year.) With the adapter on, there is still space between the splined shaft of the steering box and the shaft from the column. The adapter is for a manual box and column. Am I missing something? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!! Sorry, my mobile phone doesn't allow me to upload pics:(

Chrysler made an adapter that was used when switching from power steering to manual steering column it's about 3" long one end fits in to the bottom of the coupler and the other end slides on to the steering box.
I may have some left from years ago if you like i can look and see if i have any if your interested

The factory box coupling does have some linear travel.

Something doesn't sound right, when I switched my 70 Duster from power to manual I had to get a manual steering column and coupler. The shaft in the manual column is longer so was the coupler. Do you have the column adjusted correctly?

the shaft on the manual column has probably collapsed....pull it out...

I already have the coupling. I will try pulling the end of the column and see if I can make up the difference between the steering box and the column shaft. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. If it doesn't work, I'll get back to everyone:)

The cap on the box coupling is crimped sort of like a bottle cap.
Be careful not to pull that coupling apart.

-
Back