Steering column too short

-

Catman69

Reaction score
Is there any difference in length in manual steering columns on 1971 or 1972 Darts?..The 72 steering column I am trying to install in my 71 Dart is approx 2" too short?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Are you sure that it's a manual column?
Is it collapsed?
There are 2 small plastic pins between the inner and outer jackets that are designed to break on impact allowing the column to collapse a few inches. If they are broken or missing, you will be able to telescope the column.

Yes it is a manual column..I took it out of a manual 72 valiant,had it restored then tried to install it..When I pull on the shaft it does not move so I would assume it is not collapsed..

I think it should work unless you changed some thing else too. Could be collapsed and just hung up/jammed in there. I have put them back together before and pushed the shaft in to far and had to pull it back out.

it could be collapsed some.. i have seen them go in and be real hard to get back out. either that its a power steering (shorter) shaft.

I guess I will disassemble the column to see if the plastic pins are in place..One other thing..The car was changed from a power steering car to a manual..Are the differences in dimensions from one manual box to another?

All manual boxes should be the same. At least, I have never read otherwise. There might be a difference in the output shaft diameter, i.e. where the Pitmann arm attaches. That is true of A-body power gear boxes (~1973). Somebody answered that recently for manual boxes, but I forgot the answer.

-
Back