Steering column

-
Soooo, everthing is back together. I think I can re and re that whole set up with my eyes closed. I drilled and pined the shaft at 36 3/8, put it all back together ( for the umpteenth time) and it was still too short. Took it all back out and pulled(hammered) the two shaft sections apart. Just used a set of large vice grips and a rubber mallet. I found the factory grooves. I was expecting Holes through the shaft. There is a groove in the smaller shaft about 1/4 inch wide and about 1/8th deep. it was filled with the plastic. Tapped it back together so the grooves lined up with the holes,drilled it and pinned it again. I then measured it and it was 37 and 5/8 something like that. Go figure? Not sure what has been done to the car in the past 50 years. I am guessing that it is not the original part but everything else looks correct.
I just have to pop the wheel off again, I thought I had the wheels and the steering wheel lined up but I am a quarter turn out. I learned alot doing the job just can't figue out whats up with the length of the shaft.
Thanks for the help guys.
Spark

So like I said originally, the shaft is collapsed, you have incorrect parts for the application or an incorrect install of the wrong parts.

If it were me, I'd try to find a correct shaft that has not been collapsed. I might even look into a whole column assembly just to make sure you have all the correct parts. Better to get it right, the steering column is not something to have questions about.

-
Back