Steering Coupler 68 Barracuda Manual Steering

-

Raul

Reaction score
My Steering Coupler is too short. Are there aftermarket couplers that are longer or does Mopar make longer ones for the manual gear box? I need another 1"+.
My coupler disassembled when installed on steering box.

20200507_173925.jpg

As far as I know the couplers are the same PS to non PS. The steering shaft is shorter on PS cars.

Are you going from PS to manual?

the 71 up couplers are a little longer but i din't think you'll get an in.+your shaft is probably collapsed a bit.very common problem

This is what you need to use if your using the original shorter power steering shaft in your column. The adaptor has bigger female splines for the manual steering box, and smaller male splines for the power steering coupler on the shaft.

Screenshot_20200508-072929_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think my steering shaft did collapse somehow, how does it collapse and how is it rectified? It is a manual and staying a manual for now.

I'd have to vise the shaft as the column is out of the car. What keeps it in place? So it doesnt collapse again while driving? And what would've caused it to collapse?

The only thing that keeps them collapsed, or un-collapsed, is a little friction between the inner and outer shafts. From the factory, 50 years ago, there was some sort of plastic melted inside. Sometimes called "shear pins". So that plastic has either broken, or just isn't holding on anymore. Very common thing. The shaft should still have some friction holding it in place. They don't collapse all by themselves. Once you get it back to the correct length, it shouldn't be a problem. The old Mopar steering shaft is basically designed like the bottom illustration.
steering-for-general-automobile-20-638.jpg

-
Back