Steering coupler question

-

65Vart

Reaction score
I need a rebuild kit or some suggestions for an older style steering coupler on my 65 Dart. I can't find a rebuild kit for this online. Should I be replacing it with somthing else? This style has a threaded bolt hole in one side of the "coller" where the coupler meets the steering box (not a pin right thru). Also, is this keyed, I pulled it off the steering box without marking it (dumb *** move) when I pulled out the colomn.

Attachments

• coupler 2.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 278
Wally,you can look at the spline on your steering box(mark it)then check the splines in the sleeve(bushing)and mark it also.Line them both up and slide on.It should take a crush pin.PM or call me ,if you need more help.

Scott

Wally,I would PM Waggin,he knows all about the 65 Darts and may be able to help or point ya in the right direction.Good luck.

P.S That coupler looks exactly the same as the one on my 66 Dart.I wish the car was here to take a pic for ya.

Also , It's not really a locking mech that would tighten around the steering box. It's just a 5/16 bolt right into the collor but not thru like a pin. Stupid set up. I'm starting to think sombody Mickymoused this coupler. I"m starting to hear the call of Flaming River.

Ask slantsixdan about that, I think he described its use, but my memory is hazy

-
Back