Steering Coupler Retaining Clamp

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
(Not Mine) Found this Ebay ad and wanted to post up here for all of you. I know I have seen talk about these in the past and that people could not find them any longer. I contacted the seller about doing a group buy on them, but he is just getting into them and has to much tied up into the tooling and getting them made so he could not do that right now.

Just make sure your steering coupler is 3" long.

If you have rebuilt your coupler you know how hard it is to get the retainer to clamp back down and stay on.. These help with keeping it in place even if you cant get the ears clamped tight enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301416193929?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

View attachment Clip.jpg

Yes thank you! Bought one, too. Tried crimping it numerous times, as tight as I can get it, bump it with something while working on the car and the damn thing pops right off. A little pricey for what it is but worth it for lack of aggrevation.
Captures the roll pin, too. I usually run a zip tie through it for piece of mind...after a shop left out a cotter pin and a tie rod came loose on the road I got real cautious about crap like that.

A good friend of mine from MI found both this long version and a later short version thru the Mopar parts network, bought and had them reproduced. Besides selling them separately, he also sold the coupler rebuild kits both online and at shows. I saw many sold at the Nationals (he sold them at my space at the Nationals). When he found it near impossible to have another run done (something like a minimum of 1000 for each style), he sold his remaining stock to some guy at the Nationals) - maybe the guy on eBay? My friend was selling the clamps at $15.00 each at the Nationals - guess it costs more to have a run done now.

Thank you for posting this. This is definitely added to my list of things to get.

Thanks for posting this link. Wasn't aware such an item existed; just bought three for current/future projects.

I can't imagine anyone passing on an item like this if they have ever tried to get the seal cover to stay on the coupler.

These parts identical to nos ones . I am very glad these available again and done right, not half-assed like a lot of reproduced stuff. It always bothered me that I could never seem to get my covers crimped on as tight as the factory did with their special crimping jig. Here is link if anyone needs it. Ebay search for "mopar steering coupler clamp" also brings it up.

Another vendor offers a rubber boot or molded sleeve type ( like heatshrinked formed ) cover.
It might look a little better but it wouldn't install so easily. Nice to see these available again even through I don't need one. Happy moparing

I just bought two, I've been looking for them for years! I added a zirc to the bottom of my coupler to pump grease in an crap out, but this is way simpler!

Thats cool, so the wire acts as the new roll pin? Sweet! Although crimping the old cover back on didnt seem too hard.

Got mine pretty quick, looks like a nice part.

Should be installing tomorrow.

Thanks for this.
Mine arrived in Australia today, I can highly recommend the seller as they sent the clip well packed, insured and with a tracking number.

Great info! Knew these existed but I had given up the search years ago.

Seller seems quite quick too, I received the shipment notice minutes after ordering.

So I'm in the process of installing one of my steering coupler retaining clips on my coupler. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the bottoms of the clip to pop into the center of the roll pin on both sides of the coupler? The retainer is quite beefy and the bottom is quite hard to persuade. I am correct in assuming the ends of the retaining clip sit inside the roll pin?

Carl

(Not Mine) Found this Ebay ad and wanted to post up here for all of you. I know I have seen talk about these in the past and that people could not find them any longer. I contacted the seller about doing a group buy on them, but he is just getting into them and has to much tied up into the tooling and getting them made so he could not do that right now.

Just make sure your steering coupler is 3" long.

If you have rebuilt your coupler you know how hard it is to get the retainer to clamp back down and stay on.. These help with keeping it in place even if you cant get the ears clamped tight enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301416193929?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

View attachment 1714771539

Wow, it's about time someone came out with a solution to this common problem, thank's for posting this

These retaining clamps are harder to find then hens teeth..... i want some hens teeth also!

I have a 62 valiant and need something like this that will fit it. My coupler is different than the pictures in this thread.

Lol, a closely guarded secret since........... 1969? Click on the blue 2 to see it.

Would have been nice if the Koller Dodge parts guy bent my ear on this for my '77 Ramcharger when I bought the coupler rebuild kit back then!

No. 69-19-4 TSB 66 2-27-1969 Service manual supplement (coupler) All 1967 - 1969 Models Intro 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

That is what I've found, but the coupler in a 62 is different. Stamped steel body.different proportions, no pin holes, bolt and clamp holding it to steering box. My car is a 1962 and I need help with that coupler. Thanks any way.

That is what I've found, but the coupler in a 62 is different. Stamped steel body.different proportions, no pin holes, bolt and clamp holding it to steering box. My car is a 1962 and I need help with that coupler. Thanks any way.

Why not buy or make a small wire bending jig, some stiff wire, and custom bend something to fit?

-
Back