Steering coupler roll pin issues

-

SB75SM

Reaction score
Recently I converted from power to manual steering. All went well in the conversion until it was time to hammer in the roll pin, which I cannot hammer in any further than probably 1/3 of the way...I have tried 3 different pins (original size) and all seem to want to hang up on the box's input shaft...I'm I missing something obvious

You need to have the coupler on far enough so when you look in the hole for the roll pin, it looks round , and your not seeing any splines. Then it should tap right in. You didn't change the coupler, right? When you look at an input shaft, you will see the necked down section with no splines. That's what has to align with the hole in the coupler.

I have to guess the same as above. Coupler not in the right spot. the end of the split pin(s) could have boogered the splines to the point that the coupler wont go to where it should be. A small file dressing may be needed.

Yeah I am able to move the coupler down far enough like you say and it looks round but no matter how I position it the concave part of the shaft (not splines) protrudes into the roll pin hole

Also the pin should go in and out of the coupler on the side that has a cup at the hole.

Are the master splines present, demanding the coupler go in only one position ?
If not, if it was rotated just 1 spline off, pin wouldn't go.

OK, IF the undercut groove is continuous all the way around the shaft, There is a spot, 2 spots, now distorted with age where the pin was applying force before.

SB75SM said:
Good to know, no master splines

Just to refresh My old tired Memory (lol) I called the folks
@ FirmFeel 800-347-6426 & yep...
The Power Box has an 5/8 x 36 spline input shaft....
The Manual Box has a 3/4 x 36 spline input shaft...

I'd ring them up, they have all the x-tras Your going to need also.

-
Back